General African Cichlid Discussion • Best PH for African cichlids and how to get it.

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Best PH for African cichlids and how to get it.

Postby Lottielulu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi, the PH in my 55g is 7.5 and I would like to raise it as I’ve read it’s better for the fish, and provides better colour.

I see that baking soda can be used, so how much and how do I add it so as to not raise PH too quickly.

Also, do I need to add it at every water change.

Thank you.
Lottielulu

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Best PH for African cichlids and how to get it.

Postby BlueSunshine » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:49 pm

My only advice would be...try not to get caught up in chasing ph in your tanks. A very consistent 7.5 ph should serve you well.
BlueSunshine

Postby DJRansome » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Agree, I would stick with 7.5 if it is stable.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Steve C » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:34 am

Agree 100% with both guys above. Way too many people get caught up in chasing a certain high Ph and then during WC's or times when they are overdue on WC or what not and the Ph goes down then back up after WC it just stresses the fish. The best Ph is a consistent Ph as long as it is in the safe range to start with, and 7.5 is a safe range so I would not mess with it you'll have just as good a color on a happy fish in 7.5ph as you would in 8.0 ph
75g Bichir tank
75g Paludarium
20g grow out
10g grow out
Steve C

Postby thornsja19 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:55 am

Agree with the advise above, but would just like to add that if you're absolutely OCD and feel like you NEED to have them at the higher pH, baking soda would not be my first method of choice as to how to get the pH up. It's not an exact science, it would have to be redone with every water change, etc.. Too many things can go wrong and you could very easily cause a large pH swing that could stress the fish. I would lean more towards adding a substrate or a media bag into a filter. That way the change would be more gradual/consistent and not as prone to swings.
60g 1 Gold Severum, 1 Electric Blue Acara, 1 Platinum Angel, 1 Firemouth, 4 Rainbow cichlid, 10 Tiger Barbs, 1 BN pleco, 1 ABN pleco
10g German Blue Ram pair
3.5g Male Betta, Dwarf Cory cat
3.5g Male Betta
All tanks have MTS and Assassin snails
thornsja19

Postby Lottielulu » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:41 am

Thank you for all the advise, I will keep with what I have at 7.5. Seems the best option. Thanks.
Lottielulu

Postby DJRansome » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 am

You could get a KH test and post the results. That will tell you if your pH will be stable.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby wharfrat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:56 am

As already stated stable PH is better for African. Now you could add a little cichlid lake salt or DIY mix, but I always have felt that swings in chemistry are more detrimental. This is the reason that I will not do SA cichlids with my tapwater (I dont have an RODI in the apt)...I don't want to chase levels around. Did plenty of that with an SPS reef.

Now WC Tangs I have always used Aragonite as substrate to buffer the water...luckily my tap water is liquid rock between Malawi/Tanganyika.
wharfrat

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion