General African Cichlid Discussion • M:F Ratios

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

M:F Ratios

Postby CharlesMTF » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:42 am

If I set up a new tank, and I'm looking for a certain ratio of M:F of a species, I'm assuming to pick up double the amount of fish I plan to end up with (assuming species and tank size, of course). So, question... how do you end up sexing the fish? I know its probably different depending on the species. But, would the fish maybe pair up?

I'll use the P. saulosi as an example. How many can I put into a 75 gallon tank, if I were to do a species-only tank? And, what ratio is good? And, finally, the sexing question.
CharlesMTF

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: M:F Ratios

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:26 am

20 individuals in a 75G if it is a 48x18 rectangle. Try for 4m:16F.

They don't pair...the male will try to spawn with as many females as possible.

With saulosi, the males are the blue ones. With others where the colors are the same...you can wait until they spawn, or you can vent them.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby CharlesMTF » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:53 am

Thanks. Good info. Still debating with myself what to put in there, but a species-only is what I'd like... and definitely like saulosi (or similar).

Hey... I see you have a 75G Calvus/Petricola tank. Can I ask how many of each you have, and what other fish, if any, are in there?
CharlesMTF

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:33 am

Four petricola...but I would have 5...they are nearly impossible to get. Most of what is available is lucipinnis...regardless of whether they are sold as petricola

About a dozen calvus...I'm trying for a colony.

Saulosi is pretty unique in that multiple males of the same species have a good chance of surviving and even coloring up. I would not try the same thing with most similar species. Maybe labs or acei. Maybe a timid Cynotilapia zebroides like cobue.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion