General African Cichlid Discussion • goby and african cichlids

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:21 pm

What cichlids?
Come join us at the Madison Area Aquatic Hobbyists (MAAH) meeting. http://madisonaquatichobby.com/
Current project: spawning Paretroplus kieneri
Dave

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby F8LBITEva » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:46 am

your fish are Mbuna, you might be able to sneak a goby in there but it will get harrassed by your fish. The last picture is an Elec. Johanni and they can be nasty!
F8LBITEva

Postby cichlidaholic » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:32 am

I wouldn't put a goby in that tank. This is going to be a very aggressive stock mix that you have, and I think it would be far too stressful for a goby.

Kim
110G - Perspicax Red Top Ndumbi, Demasoni, Yellow labs, Metriaclima Callainos

Check out the blog on the home page if you haven't already!!!
cichlidaholic

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:19 pm

I have to agree. My experience is that Gobies do not fair well with boisterous mbuna. Oddly enough they do very well with Tropheus.
Come join us at the Madison Area Aquatic Hobbyists (MAAH) meeting. http://madisonaquatichobby.com/
Current project: spawning Paretroplus kieneri
Dave

Postby cichlidaholic » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:13 pm

I had a trio of gobies in with my Tropheus. When I sold my Tropheus, the buyer only wanted a pair of the gobies, so I was left with one. I tried him in several different tanks with different levels of aggression (mbuna) and she remained stressed, no matter where I moved her.

Kim

cichlidaholic

Postby Darkside » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:13 am

Are you talking about a goby cichlid.... or an actual goby?
Darkside

Postby cichlidaholic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:39 am

The fish you have will "mess with the sand" plenty when they mature.

Kim

cichlidaholic

Postby MalawiLover » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:32 am

To put a name to your fish (to help yyou in the future)
#1 Hard to tell due to the color of the pic, but is very likley either a Nimbochromis venustus or Nimbichromis livingstoni (will be a big fish and will need a larger tank)

#2 Melanochromis auratus-look male by the coloration (very aggresive, nasty fish)

#3 My first guess would be a female or juvenile male Melanochromis johanni (faint stripe)

#4 another Melanochromis auratus (could be female or just young-juveniles of both sexes look the same)

#5 Either a male Melanochromis johanni (juveniles and females are orange) or a Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (both sexes are blue)

This is a very aggressive group of fish. Once they mature, you aer going to have your hands full. It is recomended not to keep these species in anything smaller than a 4ft (75g) tank.
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
IS YOUR DECHLORINATOR WORKING??
MalawiLover

Postby Dewdrop » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:09 am

Newbies don't sound stupid...just not educated alot on fish yet :thumb: .
I'm surprised that male auratus (pic #2) isn't causing trouble already. Keep an eye on him.
I have 3 auratus in my 55g. tank. that I got when they were real small. Recently 2 of them started changing color, getting darker, showing they are male. The one male harassed the other male real bad and ended up chewing off his tail before I got him removed. He's in a hospital tank now growing back his tail and now the mean male is starting to give the female a hard time. Both males and maybe the female too will be going back to the LFS.
Dewdrop
55g. mainly malawi mbuna tank, 29g. N. brichardi & pleco, 20g. grow out, 10g. fry, 10g. quarantine/hospital, 1.5g. 1st. stage fry/misc., 1.5g. snails & ghost shrimp
Dewdrop

Next

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion