General African Cichlid Discussion • how far overstocked am i?

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

how far overstocked am i?

Postby james1983 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:38 am

i have a 60 gallon, thats a bowfront and measures 4ft long with the following fish

4 labs 3" each
1sunshine peacock 5"
1 lemon jake 4"
1 eureka red 3"
1 taiwan reef 4"
1 strawberry peacock 4"
1 S. fryeri 5"
1 D. compressiceps 2.5"

I know the fryeri, compressiceps, and tiawan reef will get too big, if i move out of my apartment before it happens ill get a bigger tank, if not theyll go back to the store, i go there weekly so they dont have a problem taking fish from me. there is little aggression in the tank, except maybe the sunshine and lemon jake going at it. water is changed weekly and filtered with an aquaclear 110 and rena xp3.
james1983

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Jake at River City » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:18 am

I don't think you're overstocked right now. As you mentioned earlier, the compressiceps would be my long-term concern due to its adult size. But, it sounds like you already addressed the issue. Just keep up with the water changes.
Jake
River City Aquatics
Jake at River City

Postby james1983 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:30 am

could i get away with adding a few more pecocks? i would like to add some different colors since yellow is the main color in the tank.
james1983

Postby Cich of it all » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:13 pm

james1983 wrote:could i get away with adding a few more pecocks? i would like to add some different colors since yellow is the main color in the tank.

I don't think I would. As the other poster stated, your fine now, but I think adding more might be pushing it. Maybe if you got rid of the compressiceps and/or the freyeri. I would dump the freyeri before the T Reef. Freyeri can be pretty mean; T Reefs are pretty docile in comparison, plus they are harder to find (at least for me).
Buy a Monster Fish Rescue T-shirt!:http://monsterfishrescue.com/cart/
Cich of it all

Postby james1983 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:25 pm

Cich of it all wrote:
james1983 wrote:could i get away with adding a few more pecocks? i would like to add some different colors since yellow is the main color in the tank.

I don't think I would. As the other poster stated, your fine now, but I think adding more might be pushing it. Maybe if you got rid of the compressiceps and/or the freyeri. I would dump the freyeri before the T Reef. Freyeri can be pretty mean; T Reefs are pretty docile in comparison, plus they are harder to find (at least for me).

its weird that everyone says that freyeri are mean fish, I've had mine for a month without a single problem, even though there are other blue fish that resemble him
james1983

Postby Cich of it all » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:27 pm

There are always exceptions to the "rules". I have a 7 incher that was spastic, but pretty docile until he broke the 6" mark. Now he sometimes bosses around an 8" Milomo, a 10" Venustus, and a 7" Fusco.
Buy a Monster Fish Rescue T-shirt!:http://monsterfishrescue.com/cart/
Cich of it all

Postby dpeco02 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:17 pm

I agree, mine was docile at first too, but he has taken control. Ang coincidentally he is about 6 inches now!
dpeco02

Postby Boomr99 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:15 pm

james1983, I would say you stock list is fine, and if I were you I would feel fine adding a few more peacocks. The compriceps grows rather slowlky and my fryeri is not aggresive at all either. Your stock is similar to mine but I have more fish in a slightly smaller tank, and I plan on adding more, probably a calvus and 1 or 2 others.
Just my 2cents
180g F1 Mpimbwe Frontosa
75g Red Kachese Tropheus
Boomr99

Postby F8LBITEva » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:46 pm

you could trade someone local to you. Put an ad on craigslist "WTT African Peacocks" and get rid of some yellow for some blue or orange.
F8LBITEva

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion