General African Cichlid Discussion • Stocking my 55 gallon

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Stocking my 55 gallon

Postby YoccaFlocka52 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:22 pm

Hello I'm new to this forum but not really new to cichlid keeping, I've had yellow labs before and firemouths more recently. I have just finished cycling my new 55 gallon tank and was going to start shopping at pet stores but decided to rescue a friend's fish instead. This tank my give me some trouble and I'm looking for some advice. The nitrogen and ammonia levels are holding for now, but I think the tank is very mixed and could have issues. There is no aggression yet, but these fish are all under 2 inches still and are babies.. There are ×3 giraffe cichlids, 2 peacocks, 2 blue dolphins, 2 mixed africans (yellow), and 2 Jack Dempsey. I've never kept such a variety of cichlids but im very invested and looking to make this tank work. Please let me know what I can do to keep aggression low and keep the fish happy, and if ABSOLUTELY necessary which fish will not fit with the others.
YoccaFlocka52

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stocking my 55 gallon

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:21 pm

The giraffes and the dolphins are too big for a 55G. I would keep them in a 72" tank or larger.

I would not keep JDs with Africans and they are likely too big for a 55G as well, especially two of them. Others can tell you more about them. Post pictures of the yellow mixed Africans to get an ID to see if they will work with peacocks.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby YoccaFlocka52 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:31 pm

I was thinking the same about the giraffe cichlids, although I like them enough I would be open to upgrading tanks in a year or two just to be able to keep them. I've heard Jack Dempseys are too aggressive and aren't african so I guess I'll be surrendering them to a local shop. The peacocks are slightly bigger than the yellow africans so im thinking they will work out but I'll just keep an eye on them and watch for fin damage. Just got them all in today so I'll get some pics ASAP
YoccaFlocka52

Postby YoccaFlocka52 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:06 pm

Photos
Attachments
20210721_190042.jpg
20210721_190040.jpg
YoccaFlocka52

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:22 pm

There are five fish in that pic...blue, orange and yellow. Assume the yellow are the yellow mixed africans. What are the others according to how you referred to them?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Auballagh » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:26 pm

In your 55 gallon aquarium, It's quite possible the two Jack Dempsey's, Rocio octofasciata would not even tolerate the presence of EACH OTHER in there! :o

Part of their charm, I guess.... long-term compatibility in Central American Cichlids is NEVER a given! So with maturity, well-kept members of this rather pugnacious, Central American Cichlid species, will typically grow out to around 10 inches or so in pretty heavy-bodied length.
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby YoccaFlocka52 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:55 pm

The orange spotted ones are peacocks and the lighter ones are the blue dolphins. As for the JDs seem to be universally agreed they will not work which means I'll have to remove the pair
YoccaFlocka52

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion