General African Cichlid Discussion • 75 gallon all male peacock stocking advice

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

75 gallon all male peacock stocking advice

Postby Theo1514 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:11 pm

Hello All,

Looking for some assistance stocking an all male peacock 75 gallon tank. I picked a series of fish I like but I want to know if this list would potentially work. Currently there are no fish in the tank. All the fish will be 2-3 inches and I would probably introduce them all at once (if possible) since I will be getting them online.

Bicolor Peacock
Eureka Red
Chewindi Peacock
German Red Flush Peacock
Lemon Jake
Hai Reef Peacock
Regal peacock
Mdoka
Ob peacock
Strawberry Peacock
Usissya Flavescent
Sulfur Head Peacock
Masoni
Albino Eureka Red
Red Top Lwanda

Please let me know what you think. Could I add more if I wanted? If so what fish would you recommend? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Theo1514

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75 gallon all male peacock stocking advice

Postby Theo1514 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:17 am

So much Info, it’s almost confusing. So far I believe I should remove the Lemon Jack as he may be to aggressive.
Theo1514

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:09 am

I like 12 adult males that mature <= 6" in a 75G tank.

Jacobfreibergi such as lemon jake can be aggressive, so you may want to either choose other aggressive haps and peacocks (one jake/tank) or skip the jakes. Lwanda and Eureka are also jakes.

Strawberry and the OB are hybrids so same advice as for the jakes.

The sulphur head is timid and may not color in an all male tank.

The german red and mdoka and usisya and blue neon (chiwindi) are stuargranti peacocks...less aggressive and would work well with other less aggressive haps and peacocks. One note I did not have luck with the combination of blue neon and usisya.

People have luck with the bicolor and regal (which one...you want to have only one yellow and one blue peacock) and I don't know much about masoni but other experienced fishkeepers report they are medium aggression so good chance of working.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Theo1514 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:45 am

DJRansome wrote:I like 12 adult males that mature <= 6" in a 75G tank.

Jacobfreibergi such as lemon jake can be aggressive, so you may want to either choose other aggressive haps and peacocks (one jake/tank) or skip the jakes. Lwanda and Eureka are also jakes.

Strawberry and the OB are hybrids so same advice as for the jakes.

The sulphur head is timid and may not color in an all male tank.

The german red and mdoka and usisya and blue neon (chiwindi) are stuargranti peacocks...less aggressive and would work well with other less aggressive haps and peacocks. One note I did not have luck with the combination of blue neon and usisya.

People have luck with the bicolor and regal (which one...you want to have only one yellow and one blue peacock) and I don't know much about masoni but other experienced fishkeepers report they are medium aggression so good chance of working.

Thank you so much for the help. I may go the route of the less aggressive haps and peacocks. And 12 of them in a 75G tank would suffice. Could you recommend any other less aggressive haps or peacocks I could look at? Looks like I picked 4 of the less aggressive.

I would like an assortment of colorful fish so I’m willing to go a different route than the less aggressive if that will be the best option. But again I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.
Theo1514

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:05 pm

I would say you have six including the bicolor and masoni. Choose yellow regal (stuartgranti maleri) instead of blue neon. I did have luck with usisya and maleri together.) What is a hai reef peacock?

Haps could include Copadichromis (any that mature <= six inches...skip borleyi for example), Otopharynx tetrastigma, Protomelas marginatus, Placidochromis electra.

Remember all male is hit or miss, so have extra tanks and a rehoming plan.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Theo1514 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:40 pm

DJRansome wrote:I would say you have six including the bicolor and masoni. Choose yellow regal (stuartgranti maleri) instead of blue neon. I did have luck with usisya and maleri together.) What is a hai reef peacock?

Haps could include Copadichromis (any that mature <= six inches...skip borleyi for example), Otopharynx tetrastigma, Protomelas marginatus, Placidochromis electra.

Remember all male is hit or miss, so have extra tanks and a rehoming plan.

Thank you for all that! I’ll take a look at them!

To answer your question. Aulonocara stuartgranti (Hai Reef) Which if I understand correctly should be fine to have.
Theo1514

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:03 pm

Stuartgranti from hai reef is blue neon. Do you have the fish listed twice? Do not choose both blue neon and maleri.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Theo1514 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:27 pm

DJRansome wrote:Stuartgranti from hai reef is blue neon. Do you have the fish listed twice? Do not choose both blue neon and maleri.

So this is what I have so far. Please tell me what you think. And what else you’d recommend. I wouldn’t mind adding some orange or red to the mix if possible.

german red
mdoka
usisya
blue neon (chiwindi)
bicolor
masoni
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Hai Reef)
Theo1514

Postby Theo1514 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:59 pm

Theo1514 wrote:
DJRansome wrote:Stuartgranti from hai reef is blue neon. Do you have the fish listed twice? Do not choose both blue neon and maleri.

So this is what I have so far. Please tell me what you think. And what else you’d recommend. I wouldn’t mind adding some orange or red to the mix if possible.

german red
mdoka
usisya
blue neon (chiwindi)
bicolor
masoni

Sorry bottom few got cut off.

german red
mdoka
usisya
blue neon (chiwindi)
bicolor
masoni
red shoulder
Sunshine
otopharynx tetrastigma
Placidochromis electra
Theo1514

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:51 am

The only red I can see possible is the german red. Not much red in haps that mature <= six inches.

Your bi-color and mdoka may view each other as similar, I would try it but watch it.

Chiwindi and Hai Reef look alike, I would choose one or the other.

Otherwise sounds good.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Theo1514 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:41 am

Wonderful! Thanks for all the help! One more question for you. They will all be roughly 4 inches. Can I introduce all of them at once to the tank? 14 cichlids total. I will be buying online so prefer to pay shipping once if possible. I have 2 filters on the tank, an AC 110 HOB and FX4. Tank is currently being cycles. Fishless cycle.
Theo1514

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:02 pm

If you cycle with ammonia, you can add them all at once. Most often you cannot FIND them all at once however...don't lock yourself in.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Theo1514 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:55 pm

DJRansome wrote:If you cycle with ammonia, you can add them all at once. Most often you cannot FIND them all at once however...don't lock yourself in.

Yes I cycled with ammonia. And yes finding them seems to be my issues.

I’m sorry for all the questions but I greatly appreciate all the answers. I am able to purchase this bundle right here all ranging from 3 to 4 inches. Would this work well? I know you already mentioned the Bi-color and mdoka but I will keep an eye on them.

german red
mdoka
usisya
bicolor
masoni
red shoulder
Sunshine
otopharynx tetrastigma
Placidochromis electra
Ngara Flametail
Red empress
Placidochromis sp
Maleri peacock
Theo1514

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:46 pm

I think there must be some confusion...maybe on my part. Mdoka and ngara flametail are the same fish? Maleri peacock and sunshine are the same fish? You already have one Placidochromis...the electra. What is the other you list? Red empress is too big IMO and on the aggressive side. Is your vendor giving you the scientific names?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Theo1514 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:38 pm

DJRansome wrote:I think there must be some confusion...maybe on my part. Mdoka and ngara flametail are the same fish? Maleri peacock and sunshine are the same fish? You already have one Placidochromis...the electra. What is the other you list? Red empress is too big IMO and on the aggressive side. Is your vendor giving you the scientific names?

I’m sorry, it’s probably me who’s making this confusing. But those are the names I’m seeing on the websites. I will take pictures of the fish and post them. That would probably be easier. Like I mentioned I’m new to this and still learning all the ins and outs.
Theo1514

Next

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion