General African Cichlid Discussion • Stripping the female of eggs

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Stripping the female of eggs

Postby naturlvr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:40 pm

I just tried stripping my female Electric Cichlid of her eggs. As I applied a small amount of pressure on her mouth as it said to do in the video library, immediately 4 rushed out. but one died getting crushed not sure how. I turned her in different directions with her mouth open and nothing more came out. I looked inside her mouth and it looked dark way back in her mouth but I could not see any more fry. So I let he go back into the 240 gal community tank. Compared to the other two females like her, she still seems to be holding some. Not sure if I should take her out and try again? Any thoughts?
naturlvr

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stripping the female of eggs

Postby noki » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:04 pm

Confused as in it sounds like you mean baby fry inside the mouth instead of eggs. Are you trying to remove the babies?

I understand that you want to save your first babies, I think almost everyone tries, it is horrible to think your babies will die. But you can't save them all, what are you going to do with all of them? Do you know if the babies are pure or of a good quality? You can always try next time. Wait until you know the babies are definitely able to swimming around normally. Stripping the mother of young is stressful to the mother, and you might hurt her, so stripping should only be done quickly and when necessary.
noki

Postby naturlvr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:19 pm

noki wrote:Confused as in it sounds like you mean baby fry inside the mouth instead of eggs. Are you trying to remove the babies?

I understand that you want to save your first babies, I think almost everyone tries, it is horrible to think your babies will die. But you can't save them all, what are you going to do with all of them? Do you know if the babies are pure or of a good quality? You can always try next time. Wait until you know the babies are definitely able to swimming around normally. Stripping the mother of young is stressful to the mother, and you might hurt her, so stripping should only be done quickly and when necessary.

Noki thank you for your comments. I understand what you are saying and I am doing this now because I have some time to experiment with raising babies etc. Would love to see them grow and there are plenty pf people in the club I belong to who would love them knowing that they could be hybrids (though I am pretty sure the father is a nice Electric Yellow male) and only meant as pets.
Last edited by naturlvr on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naturlvr

Postby naturlvr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:21 pm

I meant Fry
naturlvr

Postby cyclonecichlids » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:40 am

noki wrote:Confused as in it sounds like you mean baby fry inside the mouth instead of eggs. Are you trying to remove the babies?

Agree with noki. Can't save them all. I'd leave the mother be.

Next time, wait until she can hardly keep her mouth closed, and gently dunk her in and out of water until all fry fall out.
Mbipia Lutea keeper / breeder in So Cal.
https://www.facebook.com/MbipiaLutea/
cyclonecichlids

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion