Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Thread for a Nano High Tech Planted Aquarium?

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Thread for a Nano High Tech Planted Aquarium?

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:15 pm

Is this ok for Cichlid-Forum? I plan on just keeping shrimp in it, maybe a betta. No cichlids of any kind. I think the tank will be too small, as it is a 5.5 gallon minibow acrylic aquarium. I do plan on adding about 5+ gallons of water and media volume in a sump. If you have any cichlid recommendations, please feel free to let me know. Water parameters will probably be something along the lines of this:
pH: 6.0-7.0 (will have pressurized co2 injection)
KH: whatever my tap water is lol. It varies a lot depending on season.
GH: same thing
Temp: 78 degrees F or 25.5556 degrees C
Nitrates: probably very low as this tank will be heavily planted
Lighting: An old 6500K CFL bulb that puts out about 1600 lumens. Much brighter than the CFL fixture that came with the tank.

If I must get rid of the shrimp to keep a plant-friendly cichlid, I will. Also, I understand if this thread is inappropriate for Cichlid-Forum, so I wouldn't mind discontinuing it if necessary.

Edit: forgot to add that it will have quite a few caves and other structures that fish could hide in. One thing that could be interesting, if a cichlid is not suitable for plants, is making a refugium in the sump, and keeping it there, while shrimp stay in the main tank.
SoccerMbunaAndShak

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Thread for a Nano High Tech Planted Aquarium?

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:39 pm

I will move it to d├ęcor and see how it goes.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm

Anyone?
SoccerMbunaAndShak

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:31 pm

The sump will not have more than 70 gph running through it.
SoccerMbunaAndShak

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:42 pm

I did not see a question. I would not put a cichlid in a 5G tank, no. What plants will you do? Have you done high tech planted before? Is that enough light for CO2?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:14 pm

Plan on planting rotala nanjenshan, rotala rotundifolia, either dwarf hair grass or dwarf baby tears, christmas moss, and probably a echinodorus compacta. This is my first time doing high tech planted. I hope the bulb is bright enough for CO2. It's a simple clamp lamp that I use for lighting during a water change just so I can see what I'm doing, and it is much brighter than the little Aqueon CFL bulb that I have installed in the hood. Measured the two fixtures' light output out of water, and the clamp lamp has more than twice as many lumens as the Aqueon bulb. The only plants that are listed above that are not currently in the tank are the DHG and DBT. There are currently three amano shrimp (used to be 5, but I think they climbed out of the tank along the heater cable, which is another reason that I want a sump). The nanjenshan did good for a month after I got it, but it has seemed to slow down, and the rotundifolia is outgrowing it now. Hopefully the CO2 will make it back to the way it was. I made a DIY dirt substrate that did well in a test for plant growth (just planted a couple of stems of nanjenshan in bucket with a spare heater, the dirt substrate, and the clamp lamp and it grew very well). Also does anyone know of any aquarium safe paints that bond well to plastic? I need to paint a pvc elbow that I'm using as a weir for my overflow.
SoccerMbunaAndShak

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:16 pm

SoccerMbunaAndShak wrote:Also does anyone know of any aquarium safe paints that bond well to plastic? I need to paint a pvc elbow that I'm using as a weir for my overflow.

In particular the rustoleum black spray paint for plastic. https://www.menards.com/main/paint/spra ... c-8050.htm
SoccerMbunaAndShak

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:57 pm

Look for pond supplies...there is black pond foam, not sure about paint. I would not use rustoleum.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Deeda » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:50 pm

I've only used Krylon Fusion for plastics spray paint for intake and similar PVC items in my tanks and it works great as long as you prep the PVC properly. I used multiple paint coats, letting dry thoroughly between coats and then a week dry time.

On a few other forums I've see other brands including Rustoleum for plastic used, just follow the instructions, prepping and drying times plus the waiting week.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)