Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • CaribSea Eco-Complete Cichlid Sand - 20 lb

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

CaribSea Eco-Complete Cichlid Sand - 20 lb

Postby tooker139 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:55 am

I am about to do a new tank with African cichlids
I want to go with a nice colored sand for substrate
After doing a little research I came across
CaribSea Eco-Complete Cichlid Sand, now my question is
If I use this sand, will it buffer the water to 8.2 pH
Or do I have to use crushed Coral still to buffer the pH to 8.0-8.2pph? Also if anyone has any suggestions of a colored sand
That offers "benefits" please let me know
tooker139

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: CaribSea Eco-Complete Cichlid Sand - 20 lb

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!!

I don't find the "benefits" of various substrates live up to the marketing and there are disadvantages as well.

Colored substrates have become less popular and if available may be gravel sized...which has disadvantages for African cichlids.

When new to the hobby I bought aragonite and it has never raised my pH. Subsequent purchases of substrate have been 100% pool filter sand. It is clean, it is affordable, it looks natural and it has a good grain size that works with the Python.

What is the pH of your tap water? Chances are you don't need to add chemicals other than dechlorinator.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:08 pm

If I'm correct, the Bronx has kind of hard, close to neutral pH tap water, right? Idk for sure though. Test your tap water. Out here in MO, the tap water is very hard and has a high pH, so I use inert substrates and rocks. If I did use the buffering stuff, it probably would not have too much of an effect on the water. It would just be another expense. My advice to you is don't try to chase water parameters, other than nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and maybe phosphate. Most of the country has decent tap water. Anyways, if you plan to purchase your fish locally, I would assume that the water parameters in their tank are similar to the parameters in your tank. Even if the fish you purchase were not raised in similar parameters to your tank, it wouldn't matter too much as most African cichlids are very hardy and adaptable. I would only worry if your tap water has a pH less than 7.
SoccerMbunaAndShak

Postby shiftyfox » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:12 pm

I use very fine crushed coral for my substrate and works great. Fish can sift through it and doesn’t get sucked up the python when cleaning.
Also buffers my water from 6.6 to 7.4
shiftyfox

Postby tooker139 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:25 pm

Thanks for the input
tooker139

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)