Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Fake plants okay?

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Fake plants okay?

Postby Dooner » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:38 pm

I don’t really want to go the fake plant route, but cant seem to have any success at real ones. Almost every live plant gets eaten done to the nubs. I use the ones suggested by the staff at the LFS, mostly different strains of Anubis. Any suggestions? :-?
Dooner

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fake plants okay?

Postby ken31cay » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:54 pm

I have a small area of fake plants in my 450gal and I think they look nice. The smaller fish in the tank love to gather in and around them. I have no real plants, just two rock/cave formations at either end and a big casaurina tree root formation preserved then treated with Pond Armor in the middle.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal school of Red Rainbowfish
ken31cay

Postby Deeda » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:56 pm

Fake plants should be just fine if you like the look. Maybe check out the silk plants sold at craft stores if you want something cheaper than aquarium brands. You will just need to attach them to rocks or structure using silicone adhesive which would require a cure time outside the tank, possibly super glue gel which is fine for aquarium use or sticking the stems under rocks.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby ironspider » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:29 am

I use a lot of fake plants. I tried real ones as well that were suggested as a possibility on this board, they didn't work for me. My fake plant look totally fake but at least it adds a little color and the fish don't mess with them.
Attachments
tank1.jpg
ironspider

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)