Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Python syphon vacuum with sand?

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Python syphon vacuum with sand?

Postby T_Waters » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:16 pm

I have kept Frontosa for a few years, always with medium gravel as substrate. Because it is so darn easy to vacuum clean with a python connected to sink via hose. Spectrastone Deep River Pebble Size, poly coated. All local fish stores sell that brand.
Never even considered sand because I imagined it would be too hard to keep from sucking up with the python when cleaning.
Cleaning a fairly large 135 gal tank substrate is not even a 10 minute job with gravel, you're never going to have gravel go all the way up the 24" wand.
Easy in other words.
So how are you all cleaning your substrate, I know most of you use sand.
Was I wrong about the difficulty vacuuming sand?
T_Waters

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Python syphon vacuum with sand?

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:26 am

Use pool filter sand...the 20 grain (if you get the right product) falls right back out of the Python.

You can also hover the Python over the sand and even use your hand to agitate if necessary...there is a video in the Cichlid-forum Library showing that.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Python syphon vacuum with sand?

Postby Idech » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:06 pm

I use Caribsea special grade aragonite sand. It’s too heavy to go down in the python but not big enough that the cichlids can’t dig in it.
Idech

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)