Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Is this too many rocks? (75g)

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Re: Is this too many rocks? (75g)

Postby Smeagol » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:18 pm

DJRansome wrote:It always takes me several days to get something I like. It will happen. What about if you go diagonal tipped up and leaning on each other with all of them? Or think in those terms?

Well, if it goes by what I like, then I'm happy with the rockscape in my photo above. But I'm more concerned about what the fish will like.

I did go "diagonal tipped up and leaning." See the rock near the center of my photo (above). I don't see how I could create a lot of small caves that way. I might be able to repeat that configuration a couple more times in the space available, but it won't be very high, and each iteration will only create 1 or 2 caves at the most. I think the problem is that my rocks are too big and too round. I don't have enough small and/or flat pieces to work with. I thought I had more variety until I actually started trying to stack them.

I see thousands of pictures of tanks like the one below, claiming to be mbuna tanks. How is my scape so much different than this?

Smeagol

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:36 pm

If we were asked how to improve that very pretty tank we would say double the rock or stock it with peacocks. Nothing wrong with going ahead and trying it. You can always change it later if required.

That blue fish is not a mbuna...maybe they ended up with haps and peacocks and weeded out other mbuna over time.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:34 pm

...it's easy to throw an inappropriate amount of rocks in a tank, throw in some mbuna, take a picture, and say "this is my mbuna tank". That doesn't make it a SUCCESSFUL mbuna tank...
SinisterKisses

135gal 8ft: Hap/peacock all male
40gal long: L. caeruleus and Cynotilapia sp. "hara"
33gal: N. brichardi and N. leleupi grow out
Sinister-Kisses

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:44 pm

This is my mbuna tank...I'm still playing around with the placement to get it "just right", but you can see how much of the tank is full of rocks, varying sizes, creating lots of spaces for fish to hang out.
Attachments
20210213_193847.jpg
SinisterKisses

Sinister-Kisses

Postby Smeagol » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:51 am

Sinister-Kisses wrote:This is my mbuna tank...I'm still playing around with the placement to get it "just right", but you can see how much of the tank is full of rocks, varying sizes, creating lots of spaces for fish to hang out.

Nice. I like it. What size tank is that? Is the rock pile centered between the front and back glass? Or is it closer to the back? Approximately how many inches are there between the front glass and the rock pile? Also, where are the fish? Thanks!
Smeagol

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:30 am

Tank is a 40 long (4ft). Yes, it's centered, with basically just enough room between the rocks and the glass for my hand to wipe down the glass with a sponge or get a hose in to clean. Fish are actually currently MIA - I decided I wanted to try a different group than what I had so cleared them out...and the replacements haven't come in yet ;)
SinisterKisses

Sinister-Kisses

Postby Smeagol » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:13 am

Sinister-Kisses wrote:Tank is a 40 long (4ft). Yes, it's centered, with basically just enough room between the rocks and the glass for my hand to wipe down the glass with a sponge or get a hose in to clean. Fish are actually currently MIA - I decided I wanted to try a different group than what I had so cleared them out...and the replacements haven't come in yet ;)

Thanks for the info. So, did you have L. caeruleus and Cynotilapia sp. "hara" in there, as noted in your signature? How long did you have them in there? How did they do? I really like the way your tank looks, but many sources say it's better to have at least 2 separate rock piles instead of one big pile, so that a single dominant male doesn't try to claim the whole thing. Was this an issue for you?
Smeagol

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:26 pm

Yes, those are what I had. They did really well, but the hara females just got lost and the labs really popped in my set up. So I decided to change it up and do a species tank with saulosi. Still waiting for them to come in. No, one male didn't claim the whole thing...there were 5 males overall who were content with their "nook" for the most part.
SinisterKisses

Sinister-Kisses

Postby Smeagol » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:38 am

I don't know whose tank this is. It's just a picture I found online. The rocks look similar to mine in terms of size and shape; so if I were to try to build a high wall by stacking my rocks, it would probably look something like this. How can a pile like this be stable (unless it's leaning against the back glass, which I thought was a no-no)?

Smeagol

Postby Stu W2 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:59 pm

Without knowing more I'd just be guessing but perhaps they have been siliconed together. Regardless, it's not a configuration I'd risk.

Regards,
Stu
Stu W2

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:23 pm

Holy #%$& that rock work makes me cringe lol. I HOPE they are indeed siliconed like Stu suggested, because that is a sketchy AF rock pile that I would never trust in one of my tanks.
SinisterKisses

Sinister-Kisses

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:00 am

Sinister-Kisses wrote:Tank is a 40 long (4ft). Yes, it's centered, with basically just enough room between the rocks and the glass for my hand to wipe down the glass with a sponge or get a hose in to clean. Fish are actually currently MIA - I decided I wanted to try a different group than what I had so cleared them out...and the replacements haven't come in yet ;)

If I'm not mistaken a 40 long is only 13" deep (front to back). I'd be interested in seeing a photo taken from the narrow side of the tank, just to see how narrow the rock pile is in profile.
Smeagol

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:45 pm

Yes, it's 13" deep. Tapers off towards the top a bit...like I said, I'm not totally happy with it and will be adding some more I think. But there's just barely enough room for the heater at the bottom between the rocks and the glass, and enough room for my hand to wipe down the glass on the sides and front.
Attachments
20210219_174001.jpg
20210219_173946.jpg
SinisterKisses

Sinister-Kisses

Postby Smeagol » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:41 pm

Sinister-Kisses wrote:Yes, it's 13" deep. Tapers off towards the top a bit...like I said, I'm not totally happy with it and will be adding some more I think. But there's just barely enough room for the heater at the bottom between the rocks and the glass, and enough room for my hand to wipe down the glass on the sides and front.

I think it looks great! It has a kind of stark simplicity that will allow the fish to be the true "stars" of the tank. The tapering off towards the top probably helps with stability, and it doesn't detract from the aesthetic at all. I wish I could do something similar in my tank, but I don't think it's possible with the rocks I currently have. Since my tank is 4" taller than yours, I'd need to stack my rocks higher to achieve the same proportions. That's not really a problem. The real problem is that my rocks are larger, smoother, and rounder that what you're working with, and so it's very difficult to stack them high.
Smeagol

Previous

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)