Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Substrate and ph

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Re: Substrate and ph

Postby ken31cay » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:15 am

To be frank, this is the first I’ve heard someone say that pH isn’t really important and that most fish won’t react negatively when put in a significantly different water pH. During my time keeping Discus I’d been brought to believe that Discus, and SA fish in general, can tolerate a sudden higher change in pH much better than they can a sudden crash in pH. And I’ve seen fish in the past acclimate quickly in sudden pH increases of 6-8 degrees and on the other hand look basically shell shocked during a pH drop. After reading your posts I’m naturally rethinking my experience.

But in the meantime I have another shipment of wild Mobas coming in two weeks and I think I’ll still keep an eye on my pH.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:06 am

I think keeping parameters stable is still important, but the idea is that tank raised fish may have been acclimated to a pH unlike the body of water of origin generations ago.

Also that generally fish can be acclimated to your pH so you don't have to tamper with water parameters. Or the fishkeeper may wish to choose fish that work with the pH from the tap to make everything effortless.

My vendor has pH = 7.8 and my pH is 7.8 so I can add new fish without acclimating for pH since they match.

I once received calvus from another source that I did not realize were kept at a higher pH and they were quite lethargic and pale when added to my tank. But no one died and within 24 hours they were fine.

I have also had a group of Synodontis die due to a sudden change in TDS.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ken31cay » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:25 pm

DJRansome wrote:I think keeping parameters stable is still important, but the idea is that tank raised fish may have been acclimated to a pH unlike the body of water of origin generations ago.

Also that generally fish can be acclimated to your pH so you don't have to tamper with water parameters. Or the fishkeeper may wish to choose fish that work with the pH from the tap to make everything effortless.

My vendor has pH = 7.8 and my pH is 7.8 so I can add new fish without acclimating for pH since they match.

I once received calvus from another source that I did not realize were kept at a higher pH and they were quite lethargic and pale when added to my tank. But no one died and within 24 hours they were fine.

I have also had a group of Synodontis die due to a sudden change in TDS.

This is all in accordance with what I've known and believed.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Previous

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)