Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Cleaning chronic Brown algae

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Cleaning chronic Brown algae

Postby Ralph493 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:47 pm

I have tried everything to stop the growth of brown algae. First, my tanks are years established just so I don't get ten responses "it's common in New setups and will clear up"'. Also I have timers on all lights and no direct sun light and lights or no lights I have this algae. I have river rock in my childhood tanks and cleaning it is not only time but a task I dread each week. I don't like the appearance of it so I do it but it's the one thing I hate to do. I do have high phosphorus in my tap water and tanks. Tried phosguard didn't bring it down and with it in my tap water it would seem to defeat the purpose because doing my weekly water changes just puts mire phosphorus back into the tanks. Anyone else have this problem? If so have you found a solution?
Ralph493

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Cleaning chronic Brown algae

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Sorry to disobey, but was your tank set up more than a year ago? The diatoms usually don't start for several months and then can last for the rest of the year. Your first post was 12/1/2018? You were talking about buying fish? So maybe six months in? Just checking.

I have never had tap water with phosphorus so never overcome diatoms or any kind of algae with phosphorus in the tank.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ralph493 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:01 pm

DJRansome wrote:Sorry to disobey, but was your tank set up more than a year ago? The diatoms usually don't start for several months and then can last for the rest of the year. Your first post was 12/1/2018? You were talking about buying fish? So maybe six months in? Just checking.

I have never had tap water with phosphorus so never overcome diatoms or any kind of algae with phosphorus in the tank.

My cichlid tanks are less than a year but I have others over a year that also have this problem.
Ralph493

Postby Slow-n-Steady » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:03 pm

How long are you running your lights, what type of lighting? Decreasing the amount of time they're on or power of the lighting really are the only options.

Btw, I have river rock in my tank, with Kessil lighting that was previously used on planted tanks (entirely overkill). I did raise them quite a bit, but with no plants to utilize 'nutrients' in the water, algae's going crazy. I let the algae build on the rocks but clean the glass only. It looks cool to me, and the fish love have finally learned to pick and eat at it. I may bleach and scrub the rocks at some point and start over, but idk. May not. With multiple tanks there's no way I could keep up on the glass, however.
Slow-n-Steady

Postby Ralph493 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:54 am

Slow-n-Steady wrote:How long are you running your lights, what type of lighting? Decreasing the amount of time they're on or power of the lighting really are the only options.

Btw, I have river rock in my tank, with Kessil lighting that was previously used on planted tanks (entirely overkill). I did raise them quite a bit, but with no plants to utilize 'nutrients' in the water, algae's going crazy. I let the algae build on the rocks but clean the glass only. It looks cool to me, and the fish love have finally learned to pick and eat at it. I may bleach and scrub the rocks at some point and start over, but idk. May not. With multiple tanks there's no way I could keep up on the glass, however.

I have adjusted lighting with no results. I have now started to try to just live with it.
Ralph493

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)