The C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program • Species at risk

The purpose of the C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program is to encourage hobbyists worldwide to devote tank space to one or more species-at-risk, while forming an information network between aquarists, scientists and conservationists. Hosted by C.A.R.E.S. speaker Klaus Steinhaus

Species at risk

Postby borohands8593 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:20 pm

Hey I like the idea of this program but from the number of posts this forum has it looks like it could use a little help.
I think it would be a good idea if there could be updates on which fish, cichlids and noncichlids, that need help with their photos like in a recent post. It would also be helpful if anyone knew of breeders or had these specific species to post information about where to obtain them from so we could purchase them and breed them as hobbyists!!
For the moderator, Im into Tangs myself, which prob is one of the lakes that does not have many species on the list since it seems to be of a much more major concern with the CAs and Victorians. Are there any Tangs that need help? Any Cyp variants?
borohands8593

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby buntbarsch » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:47 am

I am glad to hear that you like the idea of this program. The CARES website (http://www.carespreservation.com) has a complete list of all species at risk suitable for this captive breeding program. Please feel free to have a look, this will answer your question about Tanganyika cichlids.
A database of participating hobbyists and their species is in process. A good way to start for you would be to contact the CARES member clubs which are listed on the website. Their CARES coordinator will be able to let you know if they have any species in their program that you would be interested in.
As for photos about species at risk, it would be amazing if you could post some pictures. I have started by posting some of the species at risk that I keep and was hoping that others would follow.
Klaus
www.carespreservation.com
No one person can save all the species at risk but each one of us can save at least one.
buntbarsch

Re: Species at risk

Postby Afri-Chi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:34 pm

I would like to join, especially on the educational side since Im a teacher.
Do you have any branches in South Africa
Afri-Chi

Return to The C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program