The C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program • Some species at risk

The purpose of the C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program is to encourage hobbyists worldwide to devote tank space to one or more species-at-risk, while forming an information network between aquarists, scientists and conservationists. Hosted by C.A.R.E.S. speaker Klaus Steinhaus

Some species at risk

Postby buntbarsch » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:03 am

Here are some of the amazing cichlids that are threatened and need our help.

Cryptoheros nanoluteus

Paretroplus kieneri

Tilapia snyderae

Eretmodus cyanostictus

Cryptoheros myrnae

Klaus
www.carespreservation.com
No one person can save all the species at risk but each one of us can save at least one.
buntbarsch

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Aura » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Beautiful fish. It's too bad they are threatened. I didn't realize that Eretmodus cyanostictus were on that list.
Aura

Postby buntbarsch » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi Betty, thank for stopping by. :)

Yes, you are correct. It is a shame that more and more of our beloved cichlids are in danger and it was a shock for me too to see the Eretmodus on that list.
Klaus
No one person can save all the species at risk but each one of us can save at least one.
buntbarsch

Postby Darkside » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:35 pm

I have 2 breeding groups of gobies, unfortunately I'll be having to pass one on to someone else as I'm about to move. They're a great fish though!
Darkside

Postby borohands8593 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:22 am

Eretmodus cyanostictus are at risk!! Im shocked since I see so many of them and so many variants everywhere. Is the species as a whole or is it just certain locations?
borohands8593

Postby buntbarsch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:53 pm

borohands8593 wrote:Eretmodus cyanostictus are at risk!! Im shocked since I see so many of them and so many variants everywhere. Is the species as a whole or is it just certain locations?

I was as shocked as you are. However, the whole species is labeled as "near threatened" due to over collecting. The next step up will be "vulnerable".
Klaus
buntbarsch

Postby Longstocking » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:21 am

From what I just looked up, Eretmodus is threaten due to sediment and environmental reasons.

Is cares recognizing "near threatened" ?
Longstocking

Postby buntbarsch » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Longstocking wrote:Is cares recognizing "near threatened" ?

Yes Sarah, CARES does recognize "near threatened".

Here are the CARES classifications:

Classification Abbreviations:

AR = At Risk in Nature: (Dr. Paul V. Loiselle)

CD = Conservation Dependent: (i.e., the species is part of a conservation program, which, if ended, would result in the fish being reclassified as "Threatened" within 5 years.)

CP = Conservation Priority: Species suitable for Breeder Award Programs. (Dr. Paul V. Loiselle)

CR = Critically Endangered: A species facing an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild in the immediate future (same as "EE" used by de Rham, & Nourissat)

EN = Endangered: Species facing a very high risk of extinction in the wild in the near future. (Includes species on the ALA list (2) shown as "Threatened.")

EW = Extinct in the Wild: Known only to survive in cultivation, in captivity or as a naturalized population (or populations) well outside the past range.

EX = Extinct: There is no reasonable doubt that the last individual has died.

NT = Near Threatened: Species which are close to qualifying for classification to Vulnerable.

VU = Vulnerable: A species facing a high risk of extinction in the wild in the medium term future.
Klaus
buntbarsch

Postby clubdriven » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:42 pm

wow! I would love to help keep and breed endangered cichlids! I have a 100G with 3 f1 Mpimbwes and a 240 with some Kapamas at the moment.
clubdriven

great idea

Postby donald83180 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:16 pm

I like the idea of people coming together to help these fish, once I have more experience into raising cichlids I will look further into this, currently on my first cichlid tank about a week in.
donald83180

Tilapia Snyderae

Postby Jake Levi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:50 am

I knew this wasnt common but didnt know it was threatened.

Who is breeding them and has stock available?
Jake Levi

Northern MI
Raising American Natives, American Cichlids,
Retired Fisheries Biologist
Jake Levi

Postby smitty » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:23 pm

The human destruction continues. They had a story on NBC this morning saying how aquatic wild life can be wiped out in 10 years due to many problems including over fishing.
150gal- Dovi; 3 AC 110 P. Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maclcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC 110 P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5
smitty

I am able to help.

Postby sik-lid » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:14 pm

I would like to learn more about how I can help one or more of these species. I have many tanks that are flourishing and I am also capable of breeding them in a safe and dedicated environment. I have around 3000 gals behind glass and plenty of space and time. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. The best part is I am retired, that means I can dedicate plenty of time to these wonderful fish. :fish:
sik-lid

Postby SEAN420 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Once i buy my 220+ gal setup. Id love to get a set up for some Yellow Convicts.. I'm a fan of the normal convict cichlids. I had a beautiful male/female pair in my 35 hex front tank i used to have setup. they eventually mated. And i had to get rid of the male which i didnt want to. he was a beaut.. no hump.. very long fins.. top n bottom.. So i would take much pride in a pair of yellow's! :)
55 Gal/ 2"M (Pink)Convict, 2.7" EBJD, 2"M Firemouth, (2)1.7" Geo Brasil, 3.7"M GT(GoldSaum) 3.5"M Texas, 1 Plecostomus, 10 Asst Cory

125 not set up yet..
SEAN420

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Paretroplus kieneri is my current breeding project. I will have to look into getting gobies. I love that fish and I will happily dedicate tank space.
Come join us at the Madison Area Aquatic Hobbyists (MAAH) meeting. http://madisonaquatichobby.com/
Current project: spawning Paretroplus kieneri
Dave

Next

Return to The C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program