The C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program • Nugget shot

The purpose of the C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program is to encourage hobbyists worldwide to devote tank space to one or more species-at-risk, while forming an information network between aquarists, scientists and conservationists. Hosted by C.A.R.E.S. speaker Klaus Steinhaus

Nugget shot

Postby kingpoiuy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:32 am

Gold nugget and Metriaclima callainos

I just felt like post this pic. Maybe ill post more later when I get them downloaded.

Opinions are welcome, I think I'm getting better and aquarium photography.
kingpoiuy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby mr.fuji » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:20 pm

Nice!
how long have you had him?
mr.fuji

Postby HONDO » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:25 pm

how big do gold nuggets get?
HONDO

Postby kingpoiuy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:00 pm

I've had him for about 6 months. I don't believe they get very big but I can't remember the exact inches right now.
kingpoiuy

Postby famikert » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:34 am

Nice looking Nugget :D
famikert

Postby Tommi » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:23 am

He is going to be 10"/25cm in couple of years. Not really, he needs warm water to grow up normally and I dont think those cichlids can take that?
Tommi

Postby kingpoiuy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:33 am

He's in 82 F water.
kingpoiuy

Re: Nugget shot

Postby Narwhal72 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:41 am

Gold nuggets will get up to about 8" SL (standard length). They do grow slowly and are not the easiest to keep long term. They are herbivores by nature and need a lot of plant material to eat. They also like warm, soft water with strong current.

I have been pretty lucky with my group of 3. I have had them for about 2.5 years and they have put on maybe an inch or two but they are all healthy and active. They are mildly aggressive towards each other and chase each other around but no serious damage.

Most gold nuggets die from slow starvation as they lose the beneficial gut bacteria they need to digest their food. If you have had yours for 6 months and the stomach does not look concave you should be in good shape. But they still aren't easy to keep long term.

I feed mine Repashy gel food, Aqueon algae wafers and pellets, and sliced cucumber which they devour. I would not keep them with Africans as they like soft water but as long as they are feeding well I would not be too concerned.

Andy
Narwhal72

Return to The C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program