Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Multiple Filters

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Auballagh 
#1 ·
Wondering why so many find it necessary to run with two or more filters on their tanks. I've been running a single FX4 for over three years. It's running on a 72 gallon bow front. The water has always been perfectly clear and parameters right on. I do weekly water changes and clean the filter every 5 weeks. I keep spare parts in case of a break down. Such as a new pump and motor, impeller and o rings.

#3 ·
I've heard that aiming for a filter that does 8x - 10x the tank's water volume is ideal for good filtration. I achieve ~7.5x in my tanks which each have a sump + canister.

#4 ·
It's not necessarily about tank capacity. I have filters "designated" as 55-70 gal tank filters, on my 33gal tank. I still have two running. After you've been around long enough, you'll discover that filters do fail now and then - and when you only have one running, and it craps out for whatever reason, you'll wish you had a second on the tank so you don't have to try to track down a new filter in a panic. Every tank I run (except my betta tanks) always has two filters on it.

#5 ·
Sinister-Kisses said:
It's not necessarily about tank capacity. I have filters "designated" as 55-70 gal tank filters, on my 33gal tank. I still have two running. After you've been around long enough, you'll discover that filters do fail now and then - and when you only have one running, and it craps out for whatever reason, you'll wish you had a second on the tank so you don't have to try to track down a new filter in a panic. Every tank I run (except my betta tanks) always has two filters on it.
That's why I carry the necessary parts to repair my FX4. But I guess I'd still be screwed if it failed when we were away for a week or two!

#6 ·
Exactly. There are plenty of opportunities for your solo filter to **** out when you're not right there to fix it. And even if you were - there's always the chance that simply replacing some parts won't fix it. Filters don't last forever, sometimes they can't be saved. I'm not willing to risk it, so I run two.

#7 ·
I recently picked up a second fx6 for 50% off on a black friday deal and boy am I glad I did.. When I had to break my filter apart the other day after setting it back up the purge valve started leaking and would not stop. Thankfully I had the backup filter I could swap out the hardware with and get everything quickly back up and running. Then order the new part and install back on the old filter. Makes Like MUCH easier. I am however contemplating putting a second running filter on my 46G Bow Tank such as a Seachem Tidal just for the purpose of skimming the surface scum off the top of the water.

#8 ·
The other perk to running two filters is when it comes to cleaning them. Eventually you have to clean out a filter when it gets too bogged down with gunk. If you have two running and fully cycled, you can do a thorough cleaning of one while the other is left alone, and then a few weeks/months later clean the other, and so on - without worrying about damaging the cycle.

#9 ·
Agree with all. And, those are great points made by S-K.
One thing I can point to with multiple filtration is - water movement. Sometimes, one discharge source from a single filtration source, will sometimes not supply the kind of water movement you want/need in the aquarium. Another thing to consider is - the 'humble' sump.
Wha.....?
That is, I can honestly think of NOTHING BETTER to slurp up the sludge that will inevitably build up on the surface water of an aquarium, than an overflow-fed sump filtration system, (I guess that's why there are so many products/recommendations for surface skimming type intake systems for tank filtration. :roll:
-
So, how 'bout a 'tiny' 33G long 300GPH, single overflow sump system for a Marineland 220G tank? Yes.... but it was 'Buffed Up' with a recirculating (internal UGJ- to - external pump) Mag-Drive 24 driven, pre-filtered intake system, for A LOT of internal water movement.
Oooooo..... tight! 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.