Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Cheap Rocks

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  SenorStrum 
#1 ·
Where can I buy cheap rocks online ?

#3 ·
If you have a Tractor Supply local they carry crushed oyster shell and coral, 50 lbs. for $11.99
That is What I have in my Mozambique Tilapia tank. It is now very fine, but that does not stop them from sucking it up and spitting it out.
I gave up trying to keep it landscaped a long time ago.
The males are constantly digging nests in the substrate,

#5 ·
if you have the ability to go get them, rock hounding is legal on national forest land. SWMBO and I decided that black rocks were going to be what we wanted for looks. Most rocks are not black but lava rocks are - at least some of them. Ordering the amount of black lava rocks I was going to need would have been over $1K. Instead, the kids and I went on a volcano adventure and got our black lava rocks from the Belknap Crater at the top of the Cascades in the Willamette national forest. This works for me because I live in Oregon which happens to have volcanoes in national forests.

Additional concern here: Lava rocks are sharp. The ones from the Belknap crater specifically are black basaltic lava rock - it's hard and it's heavy. In order to make this safe for the Mbuna, I have sandblasted each and every rock to clean and smooth them. Then I boiled. Then I fishless-cycled the rocks. The sandblasting alone has taken probably 15 hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.