Equipment & Supplies • Sump redesign Q

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Sump redesign Q

Postby gsubioguy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:33 am

I designed & built my first sump out of a 40 breeder but decided I wanted more volume overall as well as a larger return chamber (I'm not using an ATO) so I recently picked up a 65g. Essentially I am planning to replicate the current sump but tweak how water flows into the return chamber. Current sump has an under-over-under bubble trap leading to the return chamber. However, this has led to a stagnant surface that I'm using a small powerhead to combat it. Ideally, there is a way to have surface turnover w/o the need for the pump.

I'm thinking of removing the last "under" baffle to help break surface tension. My concern is since the 65 is significantly taller than the 40 so there will inevitably be noise from falling water. How can I reduce the noise while maintaining surface agitation?

Ideas I've considered (with attached sketches for clarity):
1: horizontally mount ~4" wide light diffuser a few inches below the top of the last "over" baffle and put some filter foam on the diffuser. Perhaps adding a second one lower to help as evap. occurs.
2: add a piece of filter foam in the return chamber but next to the baffle that's essentially the same height as the baffle that will always "catch" the overflowing water to curb the noise. But concern is if that'll still allow for some surface turnover.

Thoughts on those ideas? Any suggestions?
Attachments
vertical foam.jpg
horizontal foam.jpg
Current: 120g (setting up)
Past: 75g, 55g, 2 20g & 10g (funny how one turns into "I can probably fit one more")
gsubioguy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Sump redesign Q

Postby gsubioguy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 pm

Not ideal but considering a diy surface skimmer made with a powerhead but make it neutrally buoyant so it'll remain a set depth regardless of the water level. Doesn't eliminate the power consumption but would be more beneficial than just agitating the surface.
Current: 120g (setting up)
Past: 75g, 55g, 2 20g & 10g (funny how one turns into "I can probably fit one more")
gsubioguy

Re: Sump redesign Q

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:51 pm

I think your idea should work for noise reduction, and as for surface agitation, testing is your best bet. Ideas that I thought would work to prevent stagnation often ended up not working. I made a small "test" sump out of a small rubbermaid tote and used pieces of another rubbermaid tote for baffles. It took me maybe about 6 tries to come up with a design that worked for me. That's the thing about DIY sumps. They require a bit of tinkering, but once you get it right, it feels really good, and it works better than any premade sump that you can buy. Anyways, back on topic, I always wondered what that very first baffle is for. I've seen a lot of people and prefabricated sumps use them, but I never understood why they are used. They don't really force water through a certain path. Water could just flow over the top without going down the baffle. Anyways, that's just me. I'm just curious. Always like to learn new things.
SoccerMbunaAndShak

Return to Equipment & Supplies