Equipment & Supplies • Conditioning RO water

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Conditioning RO water

Postby RyanRidgely » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Hi All,

I haven't posted on the forum in eons.

We're gearing up for a big move, with all of our fish. The new house will provide an option to dabble with RO/DI water. I've been wanting to do this for decades since I've been struggling with rock hard water and relatively high pH since the Midwest is plagued with limestone, and I'd love to do a more natural habitat where some breeding can occur and I can keep some species I've not had luck with so far.

My question is what additives are folks using to build up RO water back up a bit after you've stripped it down to bare water? We're trying to go for a fairly generic blackwater tank. We've a number of wild caught and F1 cichlids. We don't need to get things to the far out "Altum" water conditions. Perhaps a pH of 6.5 and soft.

Thanks!
-Ryan
RyanRidgely

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Conditioning RO water

Postby ken31cay » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:50 pm

I've had RO water for years and used Kent Marine RO Right to replace essential minerals when I kept Discus and other soft water fish. I never kept wild Discus or added tannins to my water.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal school of Red Rainbowfish
ken31cay

Postby RyanRidgely » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:15 pm

Thanks! That looks to be the ticket. API's offerings are a bit harder to get a feel for.

-Ryan
RyanRidgely

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:00 pm

I personally use the ShrimpKing Shrimp Salt GH/KH+ for my nano aquascape with shrimp in it (I use RO water just for that tank because it is my smallest tank). I found using the recommended dosage keeps the pH at about the same as the RO water (6-6.5), but it raises KH to 3 degrees and GH to 5 degrees. However, I do not know if using this product would be feasible for larger water quantities (one 200g box treats about 340 gallons of water and is regular price $30). I don't have experience with Seachem's Discus Buffer, but I'm sure it would be a better option for larger water volumes. For African Cichlids, I would use their Cichlid Lake salt to boost RO water, but I'm sure Ohio has perfect water for African Cichlids.
SoccerMbunaAndShak

Return to Equipment & Supplies