Equipment & Supplies • Bubbles

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Bubbles

Postby Cosi » Fri May 15, 2020 10:41 am

I was browsing some of the FB African Cichlid Groups and I havent seen so many air bubbles since 1986 when the trend was undergravel filters. I must be missing something. Is bubbling air making a comeback? I personnaly like my tanks as silent as possible and the constant bubbling would wear on me. I think I get the economics of running an air header and sponge filters if you have a fish room or a fish store. But as a hobbyiest, whats up with this?
Cosi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Bubbles

Postby shiftyfox » Fri May 15, 2020 3:34 pm

I guess it’s down to preference, it’s not something you need as long as you have enough surface agitation I guess.
Having said that I do have a small bubbler, it’s easy for me then to swap this for a box/sponge filter when I’m seeding ready for new tanks.
As for noise mines hardly noticeable, Oase air pump sits in the cabinet alongside canister filter.
The only thing I do want to swap is the clear airline tubing to black so it blends into the background.
shiftyfox

Postby Cosi » Fri May 15, 2020 10:59 pm

So a couple of potential benefits surface break and sponge to quickly swap over and establish bio in a new tank. I guess I can see that. How effective are bubbles in preventing or getting rid of surface film? More effective than a spray bar or powerhead?
Cosi

Postby ironspider » Sat May 16, 2020 8:30 am

I have a bubble curtain at the back of my 55, basically to draw attention away from seeing just the plain wall behind it. Some of the fish like it too.
ironspider

Return to Equipment & Supplies