Equipment & Supplies • Two FX6 Connected?

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Two FX6 Connected?

Postby mdaniel1984 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:38 am

So I heard someone connecting two filters together in a "Daisy Chain" sort of deal.

So I was thinking can two FX6 be connected together meaning the following.

Step1 - Intake comes into can1 which has Bio Media all the way down.
Step2 - Once cycled through can1 the output tube will go to can2 input.
Step3 - Can2 will have the ability to run filter floss all the way down creating a crystal clear output to the tank.

Thoughts or issues?
mdaniel1984
 
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 am
Location: Warren

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Two FX6 Connected?

Postby BlueSunshine » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:44 am

If you are going to try it, can 2 should be before can 1.

Mechanical filtration and floss first, then biological filtration.

Not sure how it would work with the automatic shutoff that evacuates air from the filters??
BlueSunshine
 
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:22 pm
Location: USA

Re: Two FX6 Connected?

Postby mdaniel1984 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:21 am

BlueSunshine wrote:If you are going to try it, can 2 should be before can 1.

Mechanical filtration and floss first, then biological filtration.

Not sure how it would work with the automatic shutoff that evacuates air from the filters??


What if both canisters are plugged in at once same time?
That way both do it at the same time?

Thanks for the idea on what should go first
mdaniel1984
 
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 am
Location: Warren

Re: Two FX6 Connected?

Postby Deeda » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:14 am

My thoughts are why connect the 2 filters together, what are you trying to accomplish?
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda
 
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: Medina, OH

Re: Two FX6 Connected?

Postby mdaniel1984 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Deeda wrote:My thoughts are why connect the 2 filters together, what are you trying to accomplish?


Double filtration to accomplish a more crystal clear output
mdaniel1984
 
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 am
Location: Warren

Re: Two FX6 Connected?

Postby Deeda » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:51 pm

It is not really double filtration in the sense that it would increase water clarity. I think you are better off just running each filter separately and installing the proper media in each filter to accomplish both increased filtering capacity and hence water clarity.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda
 
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: Medina, OH

Re: Two FX6 Connected?

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:11 pm

Deeda wrote:It is not really double filtration in the sense that it would increase water clarity. I think you are better off just running each filter separately and installing the proper media in each filter to accomplish both increased filtering capacity and hence water clarity.


I agree. What you are getting is probably less flow. If you connect the filters, there will only be one output going into the main tank. If you run them separately, it would be twice the flow, not twice the filtration.
SoccerMbunaAndShak
 
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:13 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Two FX6 Connected?

Postby mdaniel1984 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:23 pm

SoccerMbunaAndShak wrote:
Deeda wrote:It is not really double filtration in the sense that it would increase water clarity. I think you are better off just running each filter separately and installing the proper media in each filter to accomplish both increased filtering capacity and hence water clarity.


I agree. What you are getting is probably less flow. If you connect the filters, there will only be one output going into the main tank. If you run them separately, it would be twice the flow, not twice the filtration.


So why do people have 2-3 filters?

Sorry for asking these questions I'm new to bigger tanks
mdaniel1984
 
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 am
Location: Warren

Re: Two FX6 Connected?

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:27 pm

mdaniel1984 wrote:
SoccerMbunaAndShak wrote:
Deeda wrote:It is not really double filtration in the sense that it would increase water clarity. I think you are better off just running each filter separately and installing the proper media in each filter to accomplish both increased filtering capacity and hence water clarity.


I agree. What you are getting is probably less flow. If you connect the filters, there will only be one output going into the main tank. If you run them separately, it would be twice the flow, not twice the filtration.


So why do people have 2-3 filters?

Sorry for asking these questions I'm new to bigger tanks


It's all preference. Some people really like to go heavy with filtration. Sometimes, they need the 2-3 filters. I've never had fx6s before, but I know they have a lot of media capacity for canisters. If I had to choose canisters for a 125, I would do two fx6s.
SoccerMbunaAndShak
 
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:13 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Two FX6 Connected?

Postby Deeda » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Multiple filters are used for a variety of reasons.
1) Redundancy in case one stops works or the ability to alternate cleaning of the filters.
2) Increased filtering capacity.
3) Increasing water movement or circulation while also providing filtration.
4) Higher stocking numbers will also benefit from additional filtration but will also require more frequent filter cleaning and maintenance.

I posted just a few reasons off the top of my head but sure others will offer suggestions.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda
 
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: Medina, OH


Return to Equipment & Supplies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests