Equipment & Supplies • New 120g mbuna build

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

New 120g mbuna build

Postby ka0s » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:36 am

Long time keeper decided I am going to start an Mbuna tank.

I have 120g marineland 60in X 18in tank. I have a 3D rock background for the tank that I think I might use but wanted to get thoughts on this as I my original install thought was silicon the it to the glass but I am worried about fish getting behind it so I might just stick with a black or blue background.

That brings me to why the post. I intend to buy new canisters for this system, not sure if I want to include UV or not as the second part of the question is, has anyone been able to successfully grow algae on the rocks the fish will eat on? I've seen a ton of beautiful tanks in my research but none that appear to run full spectrum lighting with the goal of mimic not only their natural environment but their natural diet as well. Might be just asking for trouble but thought I would ask as my reef keeping has tough me a thing or two about natural diets and filtration counteracting that.

Next is circulation pumps, I thought I would put them high near heaters and outflow to help turn over the tank, or is it better at the bottom to help keep the cave work clean?

Natural buffers, other than Cichlid sand is there a better option, and rocks I would love nice sized rocks without a lot of water displacement and not white as I really would prefer the grey slate type look. This is a project for me and I intend on taking my time I am in no rush at all. Also cost is not an issue but I do expect my extra spending to give give desired results.

To sum it is I am looking for suggestions on the following.

Canister Filters
Lighting rather it be full spectrum or not
Circulation pumps and placement
heaters
Rock types or even possible concrete over Styrofoam
Don't think i am fan of Texas holey rock
ka0s

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New 120g mbuna build

Postby DJRansome » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:16 am

Sorry you did not receive a reply on this and welcome to Cichlid-forum!

ka0s wrote: 3D rock background for the tank that I think I might use but wanted to get thoughts on this as I my original install thought was silicon the it to the glass but I am worried about fish getting behind it so I might just stick with a black or blue background.
I like to leave an inch or so behind the background for the intakes. You cut holes and glue plastic mesh over them. Fish occasionally get behind, but you can net them when convenient.

ka0s wrote: not sure if I want to include UV or not as
I have never used one, see no need. You have kept freshwater? Used them before? For what purpose?

ka0s wrote: the second part of the question is, has anyone been able to successfully grow algae on the rocks the fish will eat on?
Yes. The problem is usually finding the balance between too much and what they will keep trimmed. Most find it easier to skip the algae.

ka0s wrote: appear to run full spectrum lighting with the goal of mimic not only their natural environment but their natural diet as well. Might be just asking for trouble but thought I would ask as my reef keeping has tough me a thing or two about natural diets and filtration counteracting that.
Their natural diet is not just algae, there are also micro-bugs in there that are hard to include and may cause other problems.

ka0s wrote:Next is circulation pumps, I thought I would put them high near heaters and outflow to help turn over the tank, or is it better at the bottom to help keep the cave work clean?
I don't use these either, if your filtration is sufficient (8X to 10X GPH) I don't see the need.

ka0s wrote:heaters?
Hydor in line heaters

ka0s wrote:Natural buffers, other than Cichlid sand is there a better option, and rocks I would love nice sized rocks without a lot of water displacement and not white as I really would prefer the grey slate type look.
Natural buffers, including cichlid sand, are a bit of a myth. What is your pH, GH and KH from the tap?

Slate is usually flat and you usually want 3D rocks from fist to head sized. Smooth is better to avoid injuries, but if you want a dark rock look for basalt.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Equipment & Supplies