Equipment & Supplies • Surface Agitation

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Surface Agitation

Postby artlee6 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:39 pm

I have a 75 gallon (48") tank and am looking to increase surface agitation a bit. I'm currently using a FX4 with the intake on the right side of the tank and the outtake on left. Since the outtake is near the side of the tank, one of the nozzles just points at the side glass and I have the other aimed upward to create surface agitation, but it doesn't exactly agitate the surface on the far side of the tank. The fish seem to mostly hang out on the left side of the tank ((same side as outtake) possible dead spot on the right since the outtake is just pointed at the surface?)) so I was wondering how I could add surface agitation to the other side of the tank, or the entire surface so I could point the one nozzle down at the opposite corner. My problem is I don't really want to replace the existing outtake nozzles with a spray bar, and I can't add a HOB to the other side of the tank because I'm dumb and left only about a 2 inch space from my wall. I've thought about a powerhead on the intake side of the tank just aimed upward and across the length of the tank but everything I seem to find online seems way too powerful just for some surface agitation. Which of these would work?:

1. Powerhead on side of tank pointed toward surface and across length of tank. What's a good gph for that for my tank size without being too much?
2. Internal filter with a spray bar.
3. DIY Spray bar hooked to a water pump
4. DIY Spray bar hooked to an air pump. - Would this even work or would it just create bubbles?

Sorry for the million questions but I'm at a bit of a loss.

Thanks
artlee6

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Surface Agitation

Postby artlee6 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Or is it just as simple as moving the outtake nozzles to the center of the tank and have each pointed up? lol
artlee6

Postby Deeda » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:52 pm

I would first try moving the output nozzle toward the center of the tank and then play with pointing the nozzles to achieve what you want. It may take some trial and error.

I'm not a big fan of putting equipment in the tank as it seems more visible but that varies among people. A small powerhead (think round shaped ones) seem less visible to me and could be placed in the rear corner to be less visible. I'm using a Hydor circulator/powerhead on a 72" long tank and it works great, unfortunately I have 2 cats on my lap and can't get up right now. :roll:
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby artlee6 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 pm

The tank is in a corner and I plasti-dipped the back and one of the sides black so as long as the equipment is black it shouldn't be that much of an eyesore. I'll try moving the nozzles to the center and aim them up, but would there be enough flow on the bottom of tank? Is that even necessary?
artlee6

Return to Equipment & Supplies