Equipment & Supplies • Dual Herbie or Modified Bean?

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Dual Herbie or Modified Bean?

Postby gsubioguy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:54 am

I’m new to the world of overflows/sumps and I am setting up a 120g w/ dual overflows with two bulkheads per. Plumbing wise I have routed the return over the back and initially planned to run Herbies in both with all plumbing lines below the tank completely independent of one another. However, I am now considering running a modified Bean—Herbie in one overflow and run a full siphon and an emergency standpipe in the other. Conceptually, I believe this would work fine since the Herbie could take up the majority of fluctuations. I'm not concerned about flooding if I go this route since I have tested having only a single fully open/emergency pipe and it actually handled the full flow of the return pump.

So my question is this: once I have both siphons dialed in, would the water level in the siphon/emergency drain overflow constantly fluctuate to the point that it’d end up occasionally overflowing the emergency or would fluctuations in the DT be taken up by the Herbie side and thus essentially leaving the other overflow’s level steady?
Current: 120g (setting up)
Past: 75g, 55g, 2 20g & 10g (funny how one turns into "I can probably fit one more")
gsubioguy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Dual Herbie or Modified Bean?

Postby gsubioguy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:04 am

My mind's eye of the overflows.
Attachments
overflows.jpg
Current: 120g (setting up)
Past: 75g, 55g, 2 20g & 10g (funny how one turns into "I can probably fit one more")
gsubioguy

Return to Equipment & Supplies