Equipment & Supplies • internal filter types for larger tanks

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

internal filter types for larger tanks

Postby RichD1011 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Ha folks,

so I was wondering, what is the best solution for filtering a 450L/120usgallon tank? (150cm lenght, 60cm depth, 50cm height)
unfortunately an external filter / external sump isn't an option, so it has to be filtered by an internal filter type.

but what will be the best solution for this? as fas as my knowledge goes there are the following options:

- internal filter(s)
- Internal sump
- Hamburger mattenfilter / corner variety.

Any reviews on these? are there more options? advice?
let me know!

i am planning to set-up a multiply of these tanks, some as display and some as breeding tanks for my Vieja fry. bioload will be quite big I guess.
RichD1011

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: internal filter types for larger tanks

Postby Deeda » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:30 pm

I like the HMF style but I've never used them on tanks larger than 40 gallons; if you go with them, I would do 2, one in each corner.

What about an overhead filter that sits on top of the tank, either on the short side of the tank or possibly on a shelf just behind the tank so as to have more access through the top of the tank? I've seen pre-made ones on other forums, they seem popular in Asia but have seen them offered for sale online. They are often just called OHF.

Using regular sponge filters are also an option though not as attractive and usually need removed when trying to catch fish from the tank.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Bd79 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:12 am

I'd go with a mattenfilter. Having said that, Swiss Tropicals, which markets mattenfilters in the US, has a nice block tower filter that is internal. Don't know if anyone sells it in Europe, though. Look here.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtratio ... lter-shop/
Bd79

Postby RichD1011 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:20 pm

is it that obvious that im from Europe? :lol:

So the mattenfilter... was also my best guess (however ik have no experience in mattenfilter), stacked with some additional biomedia behind the "mat"

as far as I know its not easy to come by the products of Swiss tropical in Europe, however there is always the DIY solution.
RichD1011

Return to Equipment & Supplies