Equipment & Supplies • Is 3-5 watts per gallon to high

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Is 3-5 watts per gallon to high

Postby AV8TOR » Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 am

I’m planning to use two heaters with a controller on my 75 gallon. I read of stuck heaters killing fish. Do we really need heaters that can raise water temperature to the 90’s? Does anyone run heaters sub 3 watts per gallon? I thinking two 100’s (2.7 w/gal). Our house is 71-72 most of the time (to keep the wife happy).
AV8TOR

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Is 3-5 watts per gallon to high

Postby nodima » Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 am

The two biggest influences on heater size are the volume of water in the tank, and the amount above ambient temperature you desire to keep the tank run at. Given your relatively high ambient temperature, a single heater is likely sufficient - assuming you are not planning on a discus tank at 85*.

I'd be inclined to run a single 150 to start, and see how that performs for you. Some people are very particular about temperatures, and don't want to see any variation, I'm a bit more relaxed about it, and don't mind seeing a 3-4 degree swing over time - say the set point is 78, I'm ok with a range from 76-80, other folks are not.
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Return to Equipment & Supplies