Equipment & Supplies • Canister or Sump

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Canister or Sump

Postby Savage25xtreme » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:44 am

At what point do you have to go to a sump filter system? I am in the process of buying a large tank that will be setup as a paludarium. The water area will be roughly 350 gallons and 24" deep. Toying with the idea of going with a hap/peacock setup with a sand and holy rock. I live in North Texas so the water out of the tap has a 8.2pH. I have always had canister filters which are almost silent, but I am afraid that 350g would be too much for even (2) FX6 filters with an average stock load. The paludarium with be in a large open area adjacent to the living room, so it needs to be quiet.

Thoughts?
Savage25xtreme

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Canister or Sump

Postby ken31cay » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:27 pm

RE: Paludarium: I'm sure the sump would need to be custom made but certainly doable. If your water will be 24" deep then the place you buy your tank from could simply cut the overflow holes at the 24" mark. This would also look better than the hoses from the FX6.

I prefer sumps for large aquariums. My 180gal is a premade sump setup but my 450gal was a custom tank/sump order. I used FX6's before and prefer sumps for the cleaner look and all equipment (heaters, etc) can go in the sump. My FX6 was silent, whereas my sumps are wet/dry and so make a water trickle noise, which I personally like in my home. But some types of sumps are silent.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Postby Savage25xtreme » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:01 pm

It might would have helped if I included the drawing the tank builder and I are working on. Either canister or sump will be a drilled tank.
Attachments
20190417_142438.jpg
Savage25xtreme

Postby ken31cay » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:02 pm

Looks good. I'll add that for large tanks I much prefer acrylic due to the lower weight and water clarity. Glass works too but acrylic gives me added piece of mind in my home with my kids.

I only have experience with wet/dry sumps but I find the maintenance is easier compared to when I used the FX6. For my 450gal I also made sure and ordered a taller cabinet so there was ample clearance underneath to setup the water pump, pipes, etc just right and now maintenance is a breeze.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Return to Equipment & Supplies