Equipment & Supplies • Tank lid

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Re: Tank lid

Postby noddy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 am

I'm having a problem with the lids chipping lately. The hinged plastic pieces have deteriorated to the point where I have tossed them out and the glass chips sometimes when the two pieces touch. I tried to replace the hinged plastic but the price I was given was ridiculous. I will look into the greenhouse stuff.
noddy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby jcarson » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:40 am

Deeda wrote:They have not for me.

Thank you.
jcarson

Postby jcarson » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:23 pm

noddy wrote:I'm having a problem with the lids chipping lately. The hinged plastic pieces have deteriorated to the point where I have tossed them out and the glass chips sometimes when the two pieces touch. I tried to replace the hinged plastic but the price I was given was ridiculous. I will look into the greenhouse stuff.

I have used silicone to hinge lids.
If you try this make sure you leave a space between the 2 glass pieces and run a heavy bead into the space and run a heavier bead on top and smooth out over 2 pieces.
I've never done this on anything bigger than a 20 gallon tall and dont know how it will work on anything heavier.
jcarson

Postby punman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:49 pm

I use mostly glass, but when I broke the glass top on my 33 gallon tank, I got a piece of "something" that my dad had hanging around his small greenhouse. It looks like corrugated cardboard in design, but mostly see-thru. I cut it with a skill saw. It is like a hard plastic but I do not know what it is called. Anyways - free for me and works. It does sag a little in the middle with the weight of the lights but otherwise fine.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
90 Gallon: Tropheus Black Bemba
135 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby wryan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:12 pm

punman wrote:I use mostly glass, but when I broke the glass top on my 33 gallon tank, I got a piece of "something" that my dad had hanging around his small greenhouse. It looks like corrugated cardboard in design, but mostly see-thru. I cut it with a skill saw. It is like a hard plastic but I do not know what it is called. Anyways - free for me and works. It does sag a little in the middle with the weight of the lights but otherwise fine.

That's likely the stuff: double-wall polycarbonate ... they make it in various thicknesses (and triple wall as well)

I thought that our local Menards had stopped carrying the stuff I previously used (clear, 6mm, double-wall) but I checked on their website yesterday and they now show that they have it in stock.

About $40 for a 4' x 8' panel.
wryan

Postby Ronzo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Forum;

I have some experience with corrugated plastic...look up Coroplast...made of polypropylene and available in various colors, or translucent, and chemically impervious to most things (including probably acts of God) and glues (but I recently determined that Gorilla brand polyesther glue will work effectively on it, so complex, stronger assemblies are possible! Single layer, it's very light weight and only modest in strength...so I wouldn't use it to support a lighting fixture, but as an inexpensive, easily cut to fit, tank cover, it would work well to prevent jumpers from escaping...I don't think the translucent style will let through too much light...I haven't seen any what I'd call "mostly see through", so can't comment on how good light transmission of this version is.

Cheers
Ronzo

Postby AV8TOR » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:57 pm

wryan wrote:A few glass lids, couple of hoods, but mostly 6mm double-wall clear polycarbonate.

Do you shine your light through that or light right over water and cut polycarbonate front and back of light?
AV8TOR

Postby wryan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:37 pm

AV8TOR wrote:
wryan wrote:A few glass lids, couple of hoods, but mostly 6mm double-wall clear polycarbonate.

Do you shine your light through that or light right over water and cut polycarbonate front and back of light?

Shine the light through it:

Lights.jpg
wryan

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies