Equipment & Supplies • Tank lid

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Tank lid

Postby AV8TOR » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:19 pm

Curious about your setup for tank lids on your Cichlid tanks.
Do you use traditional glass lids?
Do you use egg crates and rest your light on it? Good air water surface contact but at expense of more evaporation.
Is your lights shining through the glass or over open water
AV8TOR
 
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:18 pm
Location: Ohio

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tank lid

Postby wryan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:05 pm

A few glass lids, couple of hoods, but mostly 6mm double-wall clear polycarbonate.
User avatar
wryan
 
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:22 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Tank lid

Postby nodima » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 am

Glass on all my cichlid tanks. My planted tank is currently open, and have had jumpers as well as about a 5 gallon water loss per week due to evaporation.
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima
Moderator
 
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:06 pm
Location: Mass

Re: Tank lid

Postby Kipnlilo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:21 pm

I’m with wryan on the polycarbonate. It’s a good alternative if you can’t find glass ones to fit your tank reasonably priced. I’ve used it on a couple tanks.
125G x2 Male Hap Peacock Mbuna
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
:fish: :fish: :fish:
User avatar
Kipnlilo
 
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:15 am
Location: USA

Re: Tank lid

Postby noddy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Kipnlilo wrote:I’m with wryan on the polycarbonate. It’s a good alternative if you can’t find glass ones to fit your tank reasonably priced. I’ve used it on a couple tanks.


Which stuff is it? Is it the same stuff that also comes in colours? I think it's called coroplast.
noddy
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: toronto

Re: Tank lid

Postby Deeda » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:59 pm

I am using the 6mm Twin Wall Polycarbonate normally used for greenhouse applications which is a clear product. I had to order it online since no local stores carry it.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda
 
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: Medina, OH

Re: Tank lid

Postby wryan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:32 pm

noddy wrote:
Kipnlilo wrote:I’m with wryan on the polycarbonate. It’s a good alternative if you can’t find glass ones to fit your tank reasonably priced. I’ve used it on a couple tanks.


Which stuff is it? Is it the same stuff that also comes in colours? I think it's called coroplast.


No ... it's not coroplast, which is polypropylene from what I can see ... although it is similar structurally.

Typically clear polycarbonate is sold as "greenhouse panels" ... it's about 90% transmissive (slightly less than glass), lightweight, easy to fabricate, and not prone to warping from heat/moisture.

I got mine from Menards ... although it appears that they are no longer carrying the 6mm thickness (checking their app 8mm is the thinest they show currently)
User avatar
wryan
 
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:22 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Tank lid

Postby noddy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:49 pm

wryan wrote:
noddy wrote:
Kipnlilo wrote:I’m with wryan on the polycarbonate. It’s a good alternative if you can’t find glass ones to fit your tank reasonably priced. I’ve used it on a couple tanks.


Which stuff is it? Is it the same stuff that also comes in colours? I think it's called coroplast.


No ... it's not coroplast, which is polypropylene from what I can see ... although it is similar structurally.

Typically clear polycarbonate is sold as "greenhouse panels" ... it's about 90% transmissive (slightly less than glass), lightweight, easy to fabricate, and not prone to warping from heat/moisture.

I got mine from Menards ... although it appears that they are no longer carrying the 6mm thickness (checking their app 8mm is the thinest they show currently)


Cheers. I'll keep an eye out for it up here. I use the Blue coroplast behind the tanks and I lined the walls in my fishroom with the white.
noddy
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: toronto

Re: Tank lid

Postby Sub-Mariner » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:48 pm

noddy wrote:
Kipnlilo wrote:I’m with wryan on the polycarbonate. It’s a good alternative if you can’t find glass ones to fit your tank reasonably priced. I’ve used it on a couple tanks.


Which stuff is it? Is it the same stuff that also comes in colours? I think it's called coroplast.
Look for under the Lexan name too, same stuff.

I used it before as a hospital lid.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
-75g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
2262 w/ Hydor ETH200 / RKL controller

PREVIOUS TANKS
-55g : Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

-125g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH300 / RKL controller
User avatar
Sub-Mariner
 
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Tank lid

Postby DJRansome » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:01 pm

All tanks, all glass.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
User avatar
DJRansome
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Re: Tank lid

Postby jcarson » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:05 pm

AV8TOR wrote:Curious about your setup for tank lids on your Cichlid tanks.
Do you use traditional glass lids?
Do you use egg crates and rest your light on it? Good air water surface contact but at expense of more evaporation.
Is your lights shining through the glass or over open water


I am using many different things, the glass that came with my corner tanks I am using but use egg crate diffuser for the back corners to prevent jumpers.
Also using something I found at lowes next to the egg crate, its a clear plastic diffuser that works good for my acrylic tanks but it does bow and I have to flip it every other day.
Since I also have plastic totes for grow outs I use the lids that came with them.

Deeda wrote:I am using the 6mm Twin Wall Polycarbonate normally used for greenhouse applications which is a clear product. I had to order it online since no local stores carry it.


Deeda are you getting it here greenhousemegastore.com ?
jcarson
 
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:40 pm
Location: LAS VEGAS

Re: Tank lid

Postby Kipnlilo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 pm

Sub-Mariner wrote:
noddy wrote:
Kipnlilo wrote:I’m with wryan on the polycarbonate. It’s a good alternative if you can’t find glass ones to fit your tank reasonably priced. I’ve used it on a couple tanks.


Which stuff is it? Is it the same stuff that also comes in colours? I think it's called coroplast.
Look for under the Lexan name too, same stuff.

I used it before as a hospital lid.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk


I’m not sure If it’s ok to put a link here so I won’t, but if you search polycarbonate roofing on Home Depot, you will find it. My local one has it in stock. I do agree glass is the best, but sometimes it’s not easy to find for your tank dimensions and/or too expensive for some people’s pockets. This stuff is cheap and works fine imo. You may get a little evaporation loss compared to glass also.
125G x2 Male Hap Peacock Mbuna
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
:fish: :fish: :fish:
User avatar
Kipnlilo
 
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:15 am
Location: USA

Re: Tank lid

Postby Deeda » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:23 pm

jcarson, yes that is where I bought mine from, I got the 2' x 4' precut to try it out on some 10G tanks.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda
 
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: Medina, OH

Re: Tank lid

Postby jcarson » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm

Deeda wrote:jcarson, yes that is where I bought mine from, I got the 2' x 4' precut to try it out on some 10G tanks.


I just bought a few for my acrylic 55s.
Do they bow or curl?
jcarson
 
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:40 pm
Location: LAS VEGAS

Re: Tank lid

Postby Deeda » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:37 pm

They have not for me.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda
 
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: Medina, OH

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 14 guests