Equipment & Supplies • Eheim 2262 micro bubbles

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Eheim 2262 micro bubbles

Postby Sub-Mariner » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:53 pm

I'm currently cycling my tank with a brand new Eheim 2262. I've noticed since day 1 maybe 4-5 2mm bubbles that would keep getting pushed down by the spraybar and would just constantly go up and down but never pop. I have rocks from universalrocks so I just assumed they were being released from the rocks.

I googled micro bubbles and those definitely weren't that small but to rule out hose I re-ran all new hose. About a week ago I still had the bubbles so I lifted up the rocks thinking maybe air was trapped but no bubbles were released. As of today I still have those same 4-5 bubbles that just won't pop but about 3 days ago I noticed my tank was getting cloudy, it use to be crystal clear. I just though it was a bacterial bloom since I'm cycling the tank but this morning when looking closer they look like micro bubbles.

20190217_150050.jpg

20190305_152713.jpg

I just tore down the filter and removed ALL of the gaskets that connect the pump to the elbow and the elbow to the canister body and put on all new gaskets and put a thin layer of petroleum jelly around them. Before tearing it down the gaskets appeared to be sealing fine and they were brand new so I doubt that was the cause.

I originally bought 2 FX6s but both had a terrible motor hum so I went with the 2262. The 2262 is just as quiet as my FX5s but now I have micro bubbles?! Feeling let down is an understatement.

How long does it take for the micro bubbles to dissipate if the gaskets were the cause? If the new gaskets don't solve the problem what else can it be? I don't want to keep messing with the filter and disturbing the BB since I'm cycling.
-75g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
2262 w/ Hydor ETH200 / RKL controller

PREVIOUS TANKS
-55g : Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

-125g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH300 / RKL controller
Sub-Mariner

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Eheim 2262 micro bubbles

Postby Deeda » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:30 pm

A quick method to be sure all air is removed from the filter is to unplug the filter and wait a few minutes so that any trapped air will rise up the output hose to the rim of the tank. Plug the filter back in and it should remove all that trapped air. You may also want to temporarily remove the plug from the end of the spray bar to help evacuate any air but be sure that it doesn't shoot water OUT of the aquarium.

If the above method doesn't fix the issue, post back with what media you have inside the filter, how much media and how it is stacked in the filter from bottom to top.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Sub-Mariner » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Media stack;

Green grate with small legs up
5L Substrat Pro in the Eheim media bag
3/4" Synfil poly mat
2" 20ppi Poret foam
2" 10ppi Poret foam
5L Ehfimech
Green grate with large legs down

I think I could've been wrong about what I saw being micro bubbles but I still think I had some air getting by one of the o-rings creating those 2mm bubbles.

Normally I use PFS but this tank I wanted to use the same aragonite sand I used in a previous tank years back. I bought 2-30lb bags and normally this sand is so clean you don't need to rinse but I still gave it a quick rinse but these 2 bags were filthy! The water was so milky that It took me hours to clean both bags.

On day 1 when setting up this tank the water was still a little cloudy similar to how it was today and then around day 5 it was crystal clear. Even my wife complemented on how clear the water was. I just assumed I had a bacterial outbreak the first few days but I'm starting to think that was very fine sand dust because I turned the filters off earlier and noticed a big dust film on the waters surface. You can see the tiny dust bits.
20190305_165924.jpg

I don't think those weren't micro bubbles after all. I think when I disturbed the rocks earlier this week that it kicked up the dust that had settled on the sands surface because a little over two hours ago I did a 30ish% water change and the tank looks much better than it did earlier today so if it were micro bubbles I would assume I would still see them. Hopefully once my BB gets established they will bind to the dust so I shouldn't have that problem anymore.

The tanks been running for over 2hrs. since the water change. Here's a pic I just took;
20190305_192940.jpg

Compared to earlier today;
20190305_152713.jpg

I also turned off the filter for 15mins but didn't noticed a change nor did I hear or see any bubbles being purged once I started it back up. When ever the filter fills up with water and I turn it on I'll give it a couple of hard shakes and you can hear the air being purged as the bubbles go through the pumps impeller and you can see the bubbles shoot out of the spraybar but the bubbles are much larger in size.

I also think that I had a little air getting by one of the o-rings in the pump to canister housing elbow because since swapping them out and putting petroleum jelly on them, I haven't seen one of those 2mm bubbles since! Maybe one of the o-rings was never seated properly creating a slight air leak? Maybe by just removing and putting everything back together fixed it and I didn't really need to replace the o-rings or use the petroleum jelly after all? Who knows but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever I did really did work because those bubble were an eye sore.

Here's a video I took 2 weeks ago. You can see the bubbles on the right side of the tank. When my son saw them the first time he was so excited because he thought I put in fry. :lol:

PREVIOUS TANKS
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

Sub-Mariner

Postby nodima » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:47 am

It is possible that there is small amounts of air trapped in the filter media, and is slowly being released. These bubbles would then be broken up by the impeller and dissipated into the tank.

It really sounds like you are spending an awful lot of time and energy on a small thing. My filters (Eheim Pro II's) toss out random bubbles now and then. Pretty normal in the bigger scheme of things.
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby noddy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:17 am

I have two 2262's running and have never had issues with bubbles with mine. In the filters I have on the bottom, ehfimech then Matrix and then pillow batting on top.
noddy

Postby Sub-Mariner » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:53 am

nodima wrote:It is possible that there is small amounts of air trapped in the filter media, and is slowly being released. These bubbles would then be broken up by the impeller and dissipated into the tank.

If you're talking about the micro bubbles, it seems to be sand dust because my tank looks fine this morning. If you're talking about the 2mm bubbles, they've been there since Feb. 12, so 3 weeks.

nodima wrote:It really sounds like you are spending an awful lot of time and energy on a small thing. My filters (Eheim Pro II's) toss out random bubbles now and then. Pretty normal in the bigger scheme of things.

LOL, what, all of 30mins worth of energy? When any sort of leak comes up with 75g of water in my home I'm going to be proactive, not reactive.....

If they were random bubbles here and there I would've cared less but when they're there for 3 weeks straight that tells me that air is being sucked in somewhere causing them and then on top of it the dust looking like micro bubbles looked like the air leak was getting worse, so why wouldn't I want to track down an air leak? :-?

PREVIOUS TANKS
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

Sub-Mariner

Postby nodima » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:44 am

Sub-Mariner wrote:
nodima wrote:It is possible that there is small amounts of air trapped in the filter media, and is slowly being released. These bubbles would then be broken up by the impeller and dissipated into the tank.

If you're talking about the micro bubbles, it seems to be sand dust because my tank looks fine this morning. If you're talking about the 2mm bubbles, they've been there since Feb. 12, so 3 weeks.

nodima wrote:It really sounds like you are spending an awful lot of time and energy on a small thing. My filters (Eheim Pro II's) toss out random bubbles now and then. Pretty normal in the bigger scheme of things.

LOL, what, all of 30mins worth of energy? When any sort of leak comes up with 75g of water in my home I'm going to be proactive, not reactive.....

If they were random bubbles here and there I would've cared less but when they're there for 3 weeks straight that tells me that air is being sucked in somewhere causing them and then on top of it the dust looking like micro bubbles looked like the air leak was getting worse, so why wouldn't I want to track down an air leak? :-?

I was not clear - the bubbles could be sourced from media, and is possible they are being released over time as the 2mm bubbles you are seeing.

Not saying being proactive is bad - far from it.
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Return to Equipment & Supplies