Equipment & Supplies • Canister filter or filters for 90g

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Canister filter or filters for 90g

Postby RFD76 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi, new here to the forum. I have a 90 gallon tank with an Eheim pro3 ultra g160 canister filter, I also had an Eheim pro2 2028 canister filter that recently died (had it for almost 10 years roughly). During that time when I had both filters running, I always overstocked my tank with roughly 25-28 African peacocks and haps. My question is, if I want to go back to overstocking my tank, would the pro3 be suitable or would it be safer to add a secondary canister for more filtration. I always thought over filtration is never a bad thing. But if I added an FX5 or FX6 along with Eheim pro3, would that be too much?
RFD76

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Canister filter or filters for 90g

Postby Sub-Mariner » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:16 pm

There comes a point where adding more bio media is useless because the BB can only consume what your bioload is giving them. EX: You can add 10g of bio media to your filter but if you only need 1g to support your bioload what's the point in adding more? Hope I'm making sense.

So no, adding a FX5 and a Pro3 isn't too much but try and see how your tank will do with just the Pro3 first. You could have enough media in it now to work perfectly fine. If you're talking about flow as well, you can always adjust the FXs output and slightly close it or make a spraybar to adjust the flow too.
-75g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
2262 w/ Hydor ETH200 / RKL controller

PREVIOUS TANKS
-55g : Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

-125g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH300 / RKL controller
Sub-Mariner

Return to Equipment & Supplies