Equipment & Supplies • To canister or not to canister

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

To canister or not to canister

Postby Jread002 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:40 pm

Currently I have a newly setup 75 gal tank that I have done my first round of stocking. I have 6 approx 3.5" peacock and haps currently in the tank. For filtration I have 1 AC 70 and 1 AC 50 hob . Water clarity is good but I always push for better clarity In about a month I'm planning on stocking another 6 fish in the tank and after seeing how messy the 6 fish I have now can be I just dont think my current filtration will cut it after adding more fish. I have never owned a canister filter before so this is all new to me. I have been looking at the fluval fx4. Seems like a good filter but like said I don't have any experience with canisters. Just looking for opinions on my situation, if u think I will need more filtration, if the fx4 would be adequate. Has anyone owned a fx4 or other fluvial canisters and how did you like them. Other canisters that might be better. ?

Thanks in advance for the info
125 gal peacock and hap tank
Fx6 and AC 100
75 gal peacock and hap tank
Fx6 and AC 100
Jread002

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: To canister or not to canister

Postby Sub-Mariner » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:27 pm

I never had a FX4 but I had 2 FX5s. A FX4 on a 75g will work fine. Just hook up the FX4 and in a few weeks you can remove 1 of the hob filters and a few weeks later remove the other hob filter...always test your water to make sure the new filter has been cycled.

You can always keep them both and run the FX4 too, that's completely up to you. I would just stick with the FX4.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
-75g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
2262 w/ Hydor ETH200 / RKL controller

PREVIOUS TANKS
-55g : Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

-125g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH300 / RKL controller
Sub-Mariner

Postby Jread002 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:03 pm

Having a uncycled canister running wont recycle my aquarium as long as I keep the hobs running for a few weeks correct? Should I seed the canister media with some hob media? U mean test the water everyday for awhile after I remove the jobs to make sure I don't get any spikes due to canister not being cycled yet?
Fx6 and AC 100
Fx6 and AC 100
Jread002

Postby Sub-Mariner » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:02 am

Jread002 wrote:Having a uncycled canister running wont recycle my aquarium as long as I keep the hobs running for a few weeks correct? Should I seed the canister media with some hob media? U mean test the water everyday for awhile after I remove the jobs to make sure I don't get any spikes due to canister not being cycled yet?

No, having a new filter won't harm your tanks cycle. As far as seeding, yes, you can remove some or all of the bio-rings from the HOBs if you want and put them in the FX4. You're basically just transferring over all of your BB to the new filter. The added FX4 media volume will help once you get more fish too.

On my old 90g tank I was running a 2217 but it wasn't enough for my future stock list so I added an FX5. The 2217 already had a fair amount of established media in it so I took it out, put it in the FX5 and added the new fluval bio-rings media and removed the 2217 from the tank all together. I didn't have any spikes or issues what so ever.

PREVIOUS TANKS
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

Sub-Mariner

Postby Jread002 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:16 pm

Nice, thanks for all the info made it alot easier. I ended up going with the fx6. Couldn't beat the price for $245.
Fx6 and AC 100
Fx6 and AC 100
Jread002

Postby Sub-Mariner » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:43 pm

Jread002 wrote:Nice, thanks for all the info made it alot easier. I ended up going with the fx6. Couldn't beat the price for $245.
I hope you got a quiet one!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PREVIOUS TANKS
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

Sub-Mariner

Return to Equipment & Supplies