Equipment & Supplies • New Sump Design Ideas

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

New Sump Design Ideas

Postby Sweetmule » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:37 pm

I am using a 40 gallon long aquarium for a sump for a 135 gallon tank. The dimensions of the sump will be 48" long by 12.5" wide, by 16" tall.

I was planning to have an initial section with two sock overflows, then a baffle with additional mechanical filter media, then a big long section for biological media including an 8" Marine Pure block and lots of Biohome Ultimate, then maybe a baffle for polishing pads before the return chamber with the pump.

I have read about the sock filters being a pain, but I don't know if I want to get into one of those filter roller pads. Maybe I could have the initial chamber be for Poret foam before the socks?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sweetmule

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New Sump Design Ideas

Postby wryan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:43 pm

I haven't built my sump yet (it's for a 6' 100G tank) but in the reading I have done I came to the conclusion that filter socks seemed just too much of a pain to deal with.

So I instead opted to go with an initial chamber 1" 10ppi Poret foam (two layers, double-stacked) on top of 1" 20ppi Poret foam (two layers, double-stacked)

Just seemed to me to be the better way to go, as far as ease of maintenance ... but I really have no actual practical experience with filter socks.

YMMV.
wryan

Re: New Sump Design Ideas

Postby Thalas_shaya » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:10 pm

I find my filter socks easy to manage, I have two and swap out the clean for the dirty every week or two. If it's especially grungy, I'll take it out in the yard and spray it out with the garden hose as a first step. Whether I pre-wash or not, I then toss it into the laundry and put it back in the cabinet when it's dry and wait for the next round. All that said, I've never used Poret foam and I hear great things about it. Hope this helps you get a picture of what sock maintenance looks like, at least.
-110gal Mbuna Tank -- baby plants and Lab. caeruleus and Syn. nigriventris
Thalas_shaya

Return to Equipment & Supplies