Equipment & Supplies • Air Pump inlet filter material

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Air Pump inlet filter material

Postby kirkh » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:58 am

Hi,

I have several air pumps with an air inlet filter but can find no replacement filters, has anyone ever just bought material and fabricated new ones? If so, what did you use?

Thanks, Kirk
kirkh

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Air Pump inlet filter material

Postby wryan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:48 pm

What kind of pump ? (brand/model)

Material from a replacement air filter that is available for a different pump than the one you have ?

(Mebbe try a replacement filter for Fluval air pumps ?)
wryan

Postby kirkh » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:29 pm

One pump is a Danner, one is a Eheim, used to use Rena, could get part's for Rena's back in the day. They are felt filters, there's just many different grades of felt, wondered if anyone knew more than I do. It's 1/4" thick felt.
kirkh

Postby wryan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:41 pm

kirkh wrote:One pump is a Danner, one is a Eheim, used to use Rena, could get part's for Rena's back in the day. They are felt filters, there's just many different grades of felt, wondered if anyone knew more than I do. It's 1/4" thick felt.

How big/wide are they and what shape ?

I might have some new (old) ones for my Whisper 1000 that went belly up awhile back ... hafta look.
wryan

Postby kirkh » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:14 am

I may have found the proper bulk material, felt in an F10 grade looks right. I'm going to contact the companies that supply bulk material and ask for a grade recommendation.
1/4 inch thick, about 3/4 inch round, I'll just cut to size. Should also work on my air compressor in the garage.
Thanks!!
kirkh

Postby wryan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:27 pm

kirkh wrote:I may have found the proper bulk material, felt in an F10 grade looks right. I'm going to contact the companies that supply bulk material and ask for a grade recommendation.
1/4 inch thick, about 3/4 inch round, I'll just cut to size. Should also work on my air compressor in the garage.
Thanks!!

You're quite welcome ... :thumb:

It sounds like the replacement filter for the larger Fluval air pump would work ... if memory serves, it is about that diameter ... although it might not be quite that thick. Petsmart carries those, possibly Petco as well. And if you're just looking for material to roll your own, I'm sure McMaster-Carr could hook you up ... although I'm sure they won't be the cheapest game in town.

I did locate a couple of air filter pads for my old Whisper 1000 ... these are probably 1 1/2" or better in diameter and 1/8" to 1/4" thick.

Thought I might have one brand new in the package, but unfortunately both of them were used ... although one did seem pretty clean. I have had good luck cleaning these type of filters out by soaking them in a solution of water and liquid dishwashing soap. Repeatedly wet them and then squeeze them out. Then rinse thoroughly.

I might be going up to Bainbridge (over on the east side) later today ... if that's anywhere close to you, I could bring one of the pads for that old Whisper if you are in need.
wryan

Postby kirkh » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks for your help, I ordered a sheet of 1/4 F10 material, I'll try to remember to get back on and share my thoughts on the material.

Thanks again!!
kirkh

Return to Equipment & Supplies