Equipment & Supplies • New to this great site

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

New to this great site

Postby excaliber » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:36 pm

I just bought a 75 gallon Marineland aquarium and stand from Petsmart on the Christmas sale. This is my first large tank. It seems like a pretty decent tank and the stand is solid enough.
While doing research I came upon this site and after hours of reading I decided to join.
The amount of knowledge and help being offered here is great.

Looking around at all the Fish choices I was really intrigued by the beauty of the Cichlids and especially the Electric Blue Acara. I have decided to build a Cichlid tank with this fish as the centerpiece species.

I'm are still researching tank mates and numbers of fish I can have without overcrowding. I was hoping the Yellow labs would be a good tank mate but still researching that.
I don't want it too crowded and need to find out if pairs or groups or singles will be the way to go.
I'll read as much as I can to try to find the answers here.

Amonia, nitrites & nitrates PH....... There allot to learn. I will get the tank setup and cycling for a while before we put any fish in.

I've decided on a Fluval Fx-4 and a AC110 HOB filter. I like the idea of two filters to have one running/backup filter while cleaning the larger canister filter. It looks like Pool Filter Sand is what will be used for the substrate. I'm Still searching what kind of rocks I want.
The rest I'm are still trying to decide. A 300 watt heater and 4' LED light to replace the short 3' light that came with the tank is next.

I do not have many places that sell the Cichlids around here. I do have one question off the bat. Do any of you order fish that have to be delivered? That may be what I have to do for some species.

This is a great site. Thanks in advance.
excaliber

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New to this great site

Postby Deeda » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:16 pm

Welcome to C-F!!!

It sounds like you are off to a good start with the tank and filters and I'm glad you are doing research up front before diving in.

If you haven't seen it already, we do have a Library section with lots of articles divided by categories. As to cycling your tank, check out the Fishless Cycling link in my signature for a tried and true method with great instructions.

I'm not sure if you have any local fish clubs in your area, C-F doesn't show any in Idaho but the club lists are dependent on member submissions.

I haven't ordered fish online but many members do and if they see your posts, they will PM you with where to buy them reliably.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby fish_gazer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:51 pm

excaliber wrote:This is a great site.

It is definitely that!

Welcome to the team!
125G Lake Malawi - 3 peacocks, 1 hap, 1 mbuna
fish_gazer

Postby SantaMonicaHelp » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:35 pm

Welcome to CF and larger tanks. Yes it's nice that this site has continued through the turbulence that other sites did not.
SantaMonicaHelp

Postby ironspider » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 am

The fishless cycle in the library is your best friend...good luck.
ironspider

Return to Equipment & Supplies