Equipment & Supplies • Powerhead vs wavemaker

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Powerhead vs wavemaker

Postby emersojo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:01 am

I'm looking to get several species that like wave or water movement. I have two sponge filters so I'm thinking that a powerhead would be more beneficial to the filtration. Is there a big difference between the two? What is the calculation for flow rate? What brands are decent?
Thanks
emersojo

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Powerhead vs wavemaker

Postby Steve C » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:16 am

The main difference is a powerhead has a constant flow where as a wave maker can have different settings for different speeds/types of flow. I use a Jebao wave maker (this one here) https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-RW-8-Wavem ... B00XRDWKNC It has a full range of settings and speeds for everything from constant flow to pulse to different strength pules. Very nice wave maker for a pretty affordable price. Not sure if there is a calculation somewhere for flow rate for tank size (maybe someone else knows that?) but the wave makers like the one I linked can be dialed down if the flow seems to strong for your tank so they work in almost any tank size. I have the RW-8 in my 240g which I like because it moves water well on one side and the opposite side 6ft away is an area where it doesn't reach all the way so the fish can get away from it there if they like.
120g Bichir
75g Oscar
Koi pond
20g Bichir grow out
Steve C

Postby emersojo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:29 pm

This is for a 20 long.
emersojo

Postby Steve C » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:56 pm

You'd blow them out of the tank with the one I linked to then lol. I haven't used on on a tank that small so hopefully someone else has and can suggest a size for you.
120g Bichir
75g Oscar
Koi pond
20g Bichir grow out
Steve C

Postby emersojo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:56 am

Thanks for the help. Might just try a small cheap one for now, that way I'm not out a lot if it doesn't work.
emersojo

Postby Methodical2 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:28 pm

The water movement from a small hang on filter should be enough for that size tank while also filtering the tank.
Methodical2

Return to Equipment & Supplies