Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Biohome Ultimate

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  forkman 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any experience using Biohome Ultimate? The science behind it makes sense in how it is engineered to form anaerobic bacteria deep in it's core helping to reduce nitrates. I was hoping to get some feedback from others that might have used it before I invest in some for my Fluval FX 4.

#2 ·
I use it in all of my canisters, have had it for a couple of years now. I can't say whether or not it has reduced nitrates though. Most of my tanks are fairly over stocked and nitrates are usually between 10 and 20 ppm on water change day.

#3 ·
I use it as one of the types of biomedia in my sump but also have floating plants in the sump. I have to pull out the rapidly multiplying duckweed and water lettuce somewhat frequently, suggesting I still have nitrates to support their growth.

I'm skeptical about any biomedia's ability to reduce nitrates (not sure anything really works for that other than water changes and plants) but there's no denying that the Biohome Ultra has lots of surface area to support beneficial bacteria.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.