Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Return pump for 90 gallon drilled.

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CeeJay 
#1 ·
I'm picking up a 90 gallon aqueon reef ready tank. It comes with the 1" drain and 3/4" return inside the overflow box. I also picked up a 26.5x12x15 wet dry sump I believe its a pro clear system. It has two wholes for the drain but since I only have one drain line I planned to add a tee. Im going to have to make a couple mods to the sump to add some mechanical filtration. Anyway I was planning to run a 3/4" return via a hose to save on plumbing cost.

Now I need help finding a return. When I had my saltwater tanks all I ran was jebao pumps and never had much problems with them and I like the ability to control the flow rate.
Anyway I'm looking at the DCP-5000 and the DCP-6500.
DCP-5000 is 855-1320 gph
DCP-6500 is 1115 to 1715 gph
Which would be better. I just dont want to spend extra on a larger pump if I'm only going to use it on the lowest setting. I have 2 sunsun wave makers and an ehiem 2213-2215 for additional filtration and to house my inline heater.

Also I dont believe Ill have much head height to worry about it will be a hose from the pump to the bulkhead under the thank and then the pvc in the tank to a 90 to the lockline. So maybe 4ft?

See less See more
#2 ·
I run this one Jebao-Jecod-Marine-Controllable-Water DCT-6000 in my 100 gallon. It looks like the DCP's are newer models from the same company.

I love it, it has been running for 18 moths with no problems. I run it at 50 percent of max setting so I expect it will last a long time. When I bought mine I calculated how much flow I wanted from my pump and then bought one that would hit that mark running between 40-60 percent setting. I have read that this increases the life of the pump, and if ever upgrade my tank size...

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one from jebao, but I have heard their customer service is terrible. And literature for their product is very difficult to find. The settings can be a little confusing also - at least on the one I have.

#3 ·
Lee79 said:
When I bought mine I calculated how much flow I wanted from my pump and then bought one that would hit that mark running between 40-60 percent setting. I have read that this increases the life of the pump, and if ever upgrade my tank size...
I have the same DC-6000 on my 75g with 20g sump. When I kept Lake Tanganyika's it was at 80-90% power, now that I've gone planted South American's I'm running at 30-40%.

When designing a sump & return (as I'm sure you're aware) you need a few bits of information:
1. What is your maximum & minimum turnover rates? I've always aimed for 4-8 X operating volume per hour (Gallons Per Hour).
2. What is the "head" on your plumbing return? How high do you need to pump the water from the sump into the tank and account for bends, fittings, etc.
3. Look at the rating curves for the pump and select one that puts your GPH at your required Head right in the middle of the pumps capacity.

#4 ·
What would be helpful is to know is what is your head height is and how many 90 degree elbows you will have. I don't know the price but I would go with the bigger pump.

I have DC16000 running on my 180 and it just so so. I would guess water flow at about 1200 gallon an hour. I really would like to add another pump because it just barely moving the water. I'm at about 48" head height with 3, 90 degree elbows and I run my pump wide open. It's been great pump quiet and running now for over two years with me never touching it.

So don't under estimate your head height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.