Equipment & Supplies • Fluval FX6 vibration/sound question

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Fluval FX6 vibration/sound question

Postby Ferio » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the sound/vibration of the Fluval FX6.

My unit is vibrating a lot and it's standing already on a 10cm rubber tile. I can hear the vibration sound about 6 meters away and it's a really low frequency vibration sound. On YouTube I heard that most are really quiet, but then again that also depends on the recorded quality. Most reviews also say it's super quiet, some even say the quietest unit they have had so far. When I touch the canister with my hand I feel it vibrating a lot, including the hoses. The strongest vibration is coming from the pump unit, so I think that's the source and that I may have a faulty pump unit? I cannot really find a clear answer, so I'm hoping to get them here.

So, for the (ex) owners here of a Fluval FX6, how much sound/vibration does it make?

Note: The aquarium is without fish and crystal clear water. The unit itself is also clean inside, no sand etc. The unit is 100% new and is making this vibration since the moment I started it up. I also tried shaking the unit to see if it had air trapped inside, but it had not. It does also not transfer the vibration to nearby objects, because of the rubber tile. The hoses aren't touching anything.
Ferio

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fluval FX6 vibration/sound question

Postby Deeda » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:05 pm

The filter should be quiet with a normal motor sound but it should not be what you are experiencing by your description. Is the rubber tile you have the filter setting on a soft foam type or a stiffer type?

It is possible you have a defective pump so if you bought this filter new recently, ask to exchange either the entire unit or the pump. Or if you are comfortable, drain the filter and remove the motor to check if something became dislodged during shipping. The instructions should be in the filter manual..

You can also unplug the filter, wait a few minutes and plug it back in to see if the noise is reduced. There should not really be a break-in period for a new filter to become quieter so in my opinion, I would return it and get a replacement or you can contact the manufacturer, explain the noise issue and maybe include a video with sound to help clarify what you are experiencing.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Vociferus » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:59 pm

My FX was loud until I figured out there was some air trapped in it. Now you can't hear it. It's supposed to evacuate air by itself but the first time I set it up, it didn't. See if you can get some air to get out of the canister and/or hoses and if that clears it up.
Vociferus

Postby Ferio » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:49 am

Deeda wrote:The filter should be quiet with a normal motor sound but it should not be what you are experiencing by your description. Is the rubber tile you have the filter setting on a soft foam type or a stiffer type?

It is possible you have a defective pump so if you bought this filter new recently, ask to exchange either the entire unit or the pump. Or if you are comfortable, drain the filter and remove the motor to check if something became dislodged during shipping. The instructions should be in the filter manual..

You can also unplug the filter, wait a few minutes and plug it back in to see if the noise is reduced. There should not really be a break-in period for a new filter to become quieter so in my opinion, I would return it and get a replacement or you can contact the manufacturer, explain the noise issue and maybe include a video with sound to help clarify what you are experiencing.

I've tried everything excepts getting the rotor off. I've now asked for an exchange and I will get one tomorrow. How exactly should a FX6 sound like?

When you put your hand on the canister and the hose, do you feel a lot of vibration?

Vociferus wrote:My FX was loud until I figured out there was some air trapped in it. Now you can't hear it. It's supposed to evacuate air by itself but the first time I set it up, it didn't. See if you can get some air to get out of the canister and/or hoses and if that clears it up.

Tried that, but all air got out.

I'm really curious how a fx6 should sound like or the vibrations coming of it.
Ferio

Postby Old Newbie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:23 am

It should be quiet with no vibration.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby Ferio » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Old Newbie wrote:It should be quiet with no vibration.

Thanks! I had this feeling already. I'd notice that I'm not the only one with this issue, but people I guess think it's supposed to be like that (even in some reviews it's mentioned that it has vibration and that was one of the negative things). At first I thought this too , but then I saw a video of a guy testing one in a bathroom and there's virtually no sound at all, but it was working.

Getting the new unit tomorrow, lets hope it's a quiet one! :)
Ferio

Postby Trademark » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:56 am

I have an FX4 and yes it’s a bit smaller but it has always been very quiet.
Trademark

Postby Ferio » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:18 am

I just received the new FX-6 and it's more quiet than the first one. I still feel some vibrations but it's much less. The deep vibration sound is pretty much gone. The canister and hose (outtake) are still vibrating, but slightly.

Can you guys feel with your hand the canister and hose vibrating a bit? Is this normal?
Ferio

Postby EQUANT » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:28 am

Just got my FX6 and I realized the same thing - the noise is more than I expected. My living room used to be very quiet (~34-35dB), but since my FX6 start I read ~52dB @1m from the filter and ~44dB @4m away. While I'm in the room I get used to the noise, it's when I'm away and returning that I realize just how loud it is. First thing when I walk into the room is to check that everything is ok, due to the noise I feel.

And yes, it has quite a bit of vibrations, especially if you're keeping it in an enclosed cabinet (as most of us do). I use it in a Juwel cabinet and it's resonating throughout and, weirdly, through the hoses! I hear a pronounced humm on the Intake hose, although the filter is in the opposite side of the cabinet. I can feel the hoses vibrating if I touch them (perhaps due to the ribbed hose?)

I think the motor is rather quiet, I can hardly hear a very faint humm but only if I put my ear directly on it. Most of the noise comes from the water flowing through the canister and from the resonance with the cabinet. I filled the filter all the way up before starting it, so don't think any air is trapped inside, doesn't sound like it, just the flow hissing loudly. Mine is filled with Matrix, just wondering if i put too much in it, perhaps that could be a reason for the flow noise inside the canister? I've read the noise is much lower if put on the ground, outside of the cabinet, but I don't have that option.

Will keep it for a while but if I won't learn to live with it I'm afraid if will have to go. I had to choose between Fx6 and Eheim 2080, the eheim I've read is dead quiet (19dB vs. 43dB rated on the FX6, more like 54db measured) and has double the media volume, but it lacks on mechanical filtration and flow rate.

This is my filter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TALLTMSm0O0
EQUANT

Postby EQUANT » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:03 am

Update: just fitted some foam pads underneath the filter legs and I can say that 95% of the vibrations through the cabinet are gone. Noise has dropped ~4dB just with this small change :thumb:
EQUANT

Postby Sub-Mariner » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:33 pm

I had issues with a humming from 2 brand new FX6s...never had any issues with my old 2 FX5s.

I bought a 2262 and it's super quiet and the output is insane. I'm so glad I went with that over the FX6.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
-75g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
2262 w/ Hydor ETH200 / RKL controller

PREVIOUS TANKS
-55g : Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

-125g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH300 / RKL controller
Sub-Mariner

Postby EQUANT » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:41 am

I'm aware of that Eheim monster but had to say no due to several constraints.
EQUANT

Postby Sub-Mariner » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:10 pm

EQUANT wrote:I'm aware of that Eheim monster but had to say no due to several constraints.

If it's about price I hear you! I got super lucky and found a "used" one on eBay that was brand spanking new and it was cheaper than the FX6s on eBay.

If it's about size, my stand can take any filter so I'm lucky as far as that goes. I still turned the pump on it's side because I like the hose coming out sideways as opposed to the top.

Either way glad to hear you got the FX6 noise sorted out. There was just no way I could deal with it. The Eheim is in the same spot as the FX6s and I can't even hear it running unless I'm ear level with the stand and the stand door is open.
-75g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
2262 w/ Hydor ETH200 / RKL controller

PREVIOUS TANKS
-55g : Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

-125g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH300 / RKL controller
Sub-Mariner

Postby EQUANT » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:30 pm

It's was about the price, the price of the more media, the size (the fx6 barely fits my cabinet), the increased power consumption and don't think i really needed such a big canister for a 90g tank.

Anyway, happy with the FX6 so far. The small foam legs I initially put did not last long as they got squished from the canister weight, so I ended up putting a folded neoprene pad and noise has dropped from ~52dB initially to ~41dB now, @1m from the cabinet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jadOsP5ms88
EQUANT

Postby Methodical2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:10 am

In that tight space, you will probably always need to do some sound dampening.
Methodical2

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies