Equipment & Supplies • my future setup...

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

my future setup...

Postby joselepiu » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:43 am

hi, 1st post / question...
my main question is and i might be wrong but i think that the 2 biggest differences are that one is sealed and the other one its open...
one works with a syphon and the other with an overflow...
1-. am i right?...
i will be finishing my new setup this week and starting a fishless cycle after that...
ill be using a bunch of scrubbies as a biological media and polyester batting as mechanical on a 55 gal bmuna tank, i used them before and are cheap and work fantastic...
with an irrigation dripper at a rate of 1/2 gph, a water pressure reducer pre-set at 25 psi, and then connected to an electrical irrigation open state valve, (so if the power goes out the valve will close) and then the 1/2 gph irrigation dripper...
an 1 1/2" overflow for water exchange...
the return pump is a supreme mag drive pump mod 7 rated at 700 gph, will be getting another one as a backup later on...
2 powerheads for water circulation
2 - 200 watts heaters inside canister or sump...
2 thermometers inside the tank one inside canister or sump...
a flow meter...
a water pressure meter...
with 2 - 3/4" intake pipes with slots running all along...
and 1 - 1" outtake and a 1/2" spray bar on top...
i have a tetra 60 air pump but i have read that it is not really necessary so dont know about that for sure yet...
80 lbs of carib-sea crushed coral...
still deciding between flagstone, limestone or slate, it deepens in what color(s) i can find them i will be picking them up this week also...
some mopani wood 2 or 3 pieces...
some java fern inside the tank glued or tied to mopani to help with nitrates...
some bamboo plants outside aquarium on the side with a small pump or small powerhead also for nitrates...
a diy styrofoam background maybe 1\2 or 3/4 thick at the most...
will be using a 30 gal plastic storage container if i can 100 % seal it as a canister with a syphon...
or if not as a sump with an overflow...
wish photobucket was still usable so i could upload my drawings...
all the plumbing will be with 1" pvc and 1" pond hose for intakes and outtakes, except the 2 intake pvc pipes they are 3/4 "they will be connected to 1' - 3/4 pvc Ts and then down with the 1" pond hose...
with as many ball valves as needed it...
and instead of pvc unions i like to use pvc clear vinyl tubing with stainless steel clamps, just to check that indeed there is water flow...
once i have all the materials and everything put together and checked for leaks on the plumbing for several days, (i filled the tank to the top and left it outside to check for leaks, it passed, no leaks or bubbles on the silicone), then i will start the cycle...

thanks for taking the time to read this mile long post...
if any advice, critics, questions, ideas please feel free to post will be checking...

ps: can someone tell me if there is now a way to link / post pics again, i have tried the upload attachment on the bottom but is not working...
joselepiu

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: my future setup...

Postby Deeda » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi and Welcome to C-F!!!

You can use a free photo hosting website to upload pics, see the Posting Pics link in my signature for instructions. Do not use Photobucket since they don't offer free pics hosting anymore.

We are having some issues with using the Upload Attachment option since it's a new thing.

Is this a standard 55G tank and does it have a built in overflow or is it drilled? Usually regular tanks are filtered with a power filter (HOB) or a canister filter for ease of use.

I'm not quite sure of some of your plumbing questions or design so pics would definitely help explain it. Your plan sounds a bit over engineered but could be doable.

I've never seen a plastic storage container used as a canister filter as the plastic is usually too thin and it 's difficult to make them water tight.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:35 pm

I've seen those plastic drawers from walmart made into a ghetto wet/dry sump lol.
Attachments
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG (15.94 KiB) Viewed 486 times
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby joselepiu » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:54 am

Deeda wrote:Hi and Welcome to C-F!!!
Is this a standard 55G tank and does it have a built in overflow or is it drilled?

no it is not drill and it does not have a overflow built in either that is why i was asking about the canister vs sump and i am going with the sump...
i bought it about 4 or 5 yrs ago at walmart, i think it was this one https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture ... n/24808068
back then it did not have led lights...
I'm not quite sure of some of your plumbing questions or design so pics would definitely help explain it. Your plan sounds a bit over engineered but could be doable.

i am attaching a drawingg that i made of the pluming hope it did uploaded...
I've never seen a plastic storage container used as a canister filter as the plastic is usually too thin and it 's difficult to make them water tight.

i get about it not been easy to seal, make it water tight now i know, but why it matters how thin or think may be?
caldwelldaniel26 wrote:I've seen those plastic drawers from walmart made into a ghetto wet/dry sump lol.

that is not what i am planning...
that one is a wet / dry...
Attachments
aquarium pluming.jpg
joselepiu

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:34 am

If you're planning on using it as a sump then why would the top need to be sealed? All you would need to do is put baffles in to direct flow through media, install a siphon overflow making sure to put a siphon break so it doesn't drain too low and you're set. Personally I'd just buy a 20 gallon aquarium and make a sump out of that...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby joselepiu » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:38 pm

caldwelldaniel26 wrote:If you're planning on using it as a sump then why would the top need to be sealed? All you would need to do is put baffles in to direct flow through media, install a siphon overflow making sure to put a siphon break so it doesn't drain too low and you're set. Personally I'd just buy a 20 gallon aquarium and make a sump out of that...

i was planning to make a canister out of it but could not seal it...

so i am going with a sump after all, it would not be sealed but i want the lid there to help with evaporation under the tank, i am putting a syphon break but with the dripper it will always be at the same level, but just in case and in case of a power outage i am using the irrigation / sprinkler valve, it will be open as long as there is power if the power goes and everything shuts off so will the dripper...

i looked on craigslist and other places for an used 10 or 20 gal aquarium but did not find one, a new one it is between $30 and $40 where i live, the plastic container was $6 big difference i rather use that money in something more useful...

thx for the reply...
joselepiu

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:25 pm

I hear you man, if it works for you and keeps your fish happy and healthy that's all that matters
caldwelldaniel26

Postby joselepiu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:45 am

i surely hope so...
i will know when is finally setup, running and stocked...
by the way the mopani driftwood arrived, here are the pics...
Attachments
20170802_111422.jpg
20170802_111414.jpg
20170802_111356.jpg
20170802_111345.jpg
20170802_111325.jpg
20170802_111314.jpg
joselepiu

Return to Equipment & Supplies