Equipment & Supplies • Fluval 406 Noise Issue

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Re: Fluval 406 Noise Issue

Postby Cichfish » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:36 pm

next time I'm gonna get a FX5....since I put on the teflon tape the 406 has been running strong...just have to check the teflon tape once in a while
Cichfish

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby smith10210 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Mines doing the same thing i just tried this i hope it helps im not to impressed with the 406 might go back to 2 aqua clear 110's for my 75 gallon. I did first notice the cover for the impeller did not fit snug when i first started assembly. Fluval should have made the the rubber a tad thicker on the impeller cover.
smith10210

Postby blackedout » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:49 am

ya, i have always loved my Fluval's, and this is the first real big problem i have had with them, i have had 304's 305's 405's and now 406's. and the impeller cover issue on the 406's is the first time i have ever had trouble. fx5 next time
75 Gallon, 2x Fluval 406's, Peacock / Hap Tank
55 Gallon, Fluval 305, peacock fry / pregnant females
blackedout

Postby smith10210 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Mines acting up again was super quiet after i put the teflon tape on for 2 days BS.
smith10210

Postby Ensorcelled » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:04 pm

It's really sad to see all the noise issues with the 06' line. I too, am still struggling with noise issues. The first 6 months I had mine, it was pretty quiet. Now after a year and x amount of months, it's driving me insane. I had Hagen send me out a whole new complete head maintenance kit (Gasket/Impeller Cover/Impeller/Shaft;Bushing etc, the works to attempt to fix it. No Dice. I'm ready to throw mine out the window!
72G Oceanic Lake Malawi; Eheim Pro 3 2075; AC110; Koralia 750; Jager 200W
55G Aqueon Lake Tanganyika; Eheim 2217; AC110; Jager 150W; Eheim Skim 350
Ensorcelled

Postby cichlid-gal » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:02 am

From the Fluval 406 manual:

Drain the filter
1. Close the AquaStop valve by lifting the lever all the way up. This seals off the input and output hosing connections
to maintain the vacuum that is necessary in order to restart the filter without priming.
2. Unplug the powercord.
3. Lift the locking lever to release the AquaStop valve.
It is not necessary to remove the hosing from the AquaStop valve unless the hosing, the AquaStop valve or both
require cleaning. (Periodiccleaning is recommended to ensure optimal water flow. A good time to do this is during
a major waterchange. To clean, rinse under running tap water; if necessary use an appropriate Fluval Cleaning brush.)
4. Hold the unit by the canister, not the cover, and move it to an appropriate flat surface near a sink or other drain.
(Be sure to keep it upright to avoid spills.)
5. Release the lift-lock clamps; then push down on clamps to lift the cover/pump housing off the canister and set it aside.
6. Holding the media cover in place, tilt the canister over the sink or drain, and pour out as much water as possible.
7. Media and foam screen will be saturated with water. If your sink is not large enough to hold them, have appropriate
bucket nearby. Lift the foam screen, media cover, and media baskets out of the canister and place them in your sink
or bucket.
8. Rinse the interior of the canister with clear water. NEVER use soap or detergents when cleaning canister or rinsing
foam screen or media baskets. Traces of cleaning products may remain on surfaces and damage sensitive fish tissues.
9. Rinse the interior of the priming cylinder with clear water. Be sure the cylinder has no debris trapped in the green
flapper valve and it is sitting flush in a closed position.

Clean or replace media
1. Replace chemical media, as needed. Chemical media cannot be cleaned.
2. Rinse biological media with aquarium water, never tap water, or replace as required.
Never replace all biological media at one time, as valuable colonies of beneficial bacteria would be lost.
3. Rinse screen foams and bio-foams using aquarium or de-chlorinated tap water or replace foams as needed.
For the most thorough cleaning possible, slide the foam out of the screen frame and rinse each piece separately;
rinse and wipe the screen; then reassemble. Be sure that the foam is protruding from the top of the screen.
Rinse any other mechanical media also.
NEVER use soap or detergents on foam or screen, as traces of cleaning products could harm fish.

Reassemble unit
DO NOT FILL CANISTER WITH WATER WHEN RE-ASSEMBLING UNIT
1. Place rinsed and filled media baskets back in canister and put cover back on top basket.
2. Replace foam screen in canister. (Insert with flat end down.)
3. Inspect and lubricate gasket as needed.
4. Replace the cover, making certain the MSF logo and power cord are properly aligned.
5. Use the lock-liftclamps to close the cover securely.
6. Place the unit back in position; re-insert the AquaStop valve, and push down the locking lever to lock it in place.
7. Push down on the valve lever to open the AquaStop valve. Water should start flowing immediately.
IMPORTANT: If the hosing has been disconnected from the AquaStop valve, or if the system has lost its
vacuum for some other reason, the canister will not fill automatically. Use the instant-prime handle to fill the canister.
8. Allow the canister to fill completely, then plug the power cord back into the electrical outlet.
IMPORTANT: If the canister is not full before the filter is plugged in, it may not work properly.
The filter unit should never be allowed to run dry. Running the unit dry may result in damage to the motor.

Impeller Care
The impeller well has an effective self-cleaning feature. However, it is a recommended that you remove the impeller cover
and inspect the impeller as part of your routine maintenance. Keeping the impeller clean lengthens its life and the life of
the motor.
IMPORTANT: The impeller fan has a ceramic shaft, which is resistant to wear and tear in use, but is still fragile. Handle
carefully during maintenance.
1. Remove the impeller cover: Pull the tab over and gently pry off.
2. If the impeller needs cleaning, grasp the fan and draw it gently from the well. Rinse it under clean water.
3. If the well needs cleaning, wipe gently with a Fluval Cleaning Brush.
4. Replace the impeller in the well: Slide the impeller cover tab into the tab receptacle on the rim of the impeller
chamber. Push down the opposite side of the impeller cover making sure the impeller starts to seat itself in the
center of the impeller cover. Continue to push down until the retailing tab “clicks” and locks into position.
NOTE: The ceramic impeller shaft is held on the bottom of the impeller well by a rubber support. The shaft can be easily
extracted and reinserted by hand; however, pay close attention to be certain the rubber support does not become
unseated. (Always replace the impeller cover to ensure proper alignment).

Additionally
1. Ensure Impeller Cover is fitted right way up when replacing.
2. Wet the seal ring with water before replacing. Do NOT use petroleum jelly based products.

And the one other time we have had noise in our Fluval filters was when the intake tube connection (where the tubing fits into the intake tube) was "above" the water level...it seems that the filter can suck air around that connection if it is not underwater

Hope you find the problem soon :)
125g Limbochromis robertsi, P. mulitcolor victoriae, P. pulcher
125g Metriaclima sp. zebra gold (Lions Cove) WC, P. polit
75g Xystichromis sp. Kyoga Flameback
and smaller tanks with livebearers, Bettas, tetras, other
C.A.R.E.S
cichlid-gal

Postby Ensorcelled » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:19 am

Cichlid-Gal;

While that is good advice and is generally what everyone says will fix it, I have found it to not help at all. I don't know if this is the case with everyone else's problem with the unit(s) but it will not do anything at all in terms of quieting it down. I generally enjoy Fluval's, but I'm slowly becoming one of those fluval "haters" you always read about. I guess I'm spoiled with my one Eheim I have running that is stupidly quiet.
Ensorcelled

Postby smith10210 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Still having issues now if you unplug the unit and plug it back in it wont start i have to hit the filter a few times :-? . Still making noise but its better with the teflon tape. Its been fine up until recently its about 8 months old or more. I'll take it apart again and clean it. Im thinking its the top of the filter which houses the motor etc . I dissembled the filter again and plugged it in the wall and you can see the impeller starts and stops which is causing noise etc..
smith10210

Postby smith10210 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Im justing going to get a Eheim 2217 at this point. Im thinking of getting a media bag for the bio balls just seems like it would make it easier when cleaning the filter any idea what size bag i would need? . Dr foster and smith have a 4"x6" and a 7"x14".
smith10210

Postby smith10210 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 am

Just ordered a 2217 for $122.99 with free shipping couldn't resist.... :dancing: I'll put the fluval on ebay :fish: ...
smith10210

Postby Ensorcelled » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:03 am

smith10210 wrote:Just ordered a 2217 for $122.99 with free shipping couldn't resist.... :dancing: I'll put the fluval on ebay :fish: ...

Congrats! I don't blame you for wanting to put the fluval on ebay. I'm ready to do the same if I don't break it out of frustration. :x
Ensorcelled

Postby tripng » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:08 pm

I've had my 406 for about a year now and it would have that noise problem every time I plugged the iron in the wall. So I tried the teflon tape it looks like it worked.. It's only been a day so far but lets see if it hold up.
tripng

Postby Ensorcelled » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:01 pm

tripng wrote:I've had my 406 for about a year now and it would have that noise problem every time I plugged the iron in the wall. So I tried the teflon tape it looks like it worked.. It's only been a day so far but lets see if it hold up.

It seems like the teflon tape is the fix for the problem. It's nice to know there is that option to kill the noise, but I still think its completely unnecessary to have to rig it up like that to fix the noise.
Ensorcelled

Postby vann59 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 pm

I had a noise problem with a 406 and couldn't get it to stop and Fluval's tech department thought it was air, and it turned out that the impeller broke. It would just spin around instead of catching where it's supposed to in order for the blades to rotate. They did send me a replacement even though it was not covered by warranty, as I had thought it would be. I had to get one online since it was an emergency situation and they had run out of stock, but it eventually came, so at least I have a spare.
vann59

Postby smith10210 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:05 pm

vann59 wrote:I had a noise problem with a 406 and couldn't get it to stop and Fluval's tech department thought it was air, and it turned out that the impeller broke. It would just spin around instead of catching where it's supposed to in order for the blades to rotate. They did send me a replacement even though it was not covered by warranty, as I had thought it would be. I had to get one online since it was an emergency situation and they had run out of stock, but it eventually came, so at least I have a spare.

I just sold my 406 and am very happy with my 2217 its everything i wanted the Fluval to be. I was sent a Tune up kit /maintenance kit but i had sold the filter a day before the kit came so i never got to try it.
smith10210

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment & Supplies