Equipment & Supplies • anyone ever seen one of these filters?

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Re: anyone ever seen one of these filters?

Postby BC in SK » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:34 am

Sort of curious as to when some of these power filters came out.
From my reading, I understand the Metaframe Dynaflow came out in the mid-6o's. If it is not the first, it's among the first. I got it much later, '74-75, a Birthday present from my oldest brother. I had both going on my 60 gal. for a while (the Dynaflow and the Hagen Bio-zonics) and seems to me the Hagen was a slightly bigger pump. Also had the smaller sized Hagen, that I never really had it working very much. Wiggle and wack is how you had to start these magnetic drives after a few years of use :lol:
I was around aquariums from a young age, and got my start in the hobby when I was given a 60 gal. (52" x 16" x 16") in '73-'74. I had 2 brothers much older then me who would have purchased the Hagen power filters, probably somewhere around '70-72. These pumps were already sort of worn out by the time they were handed down to me.
One of the things I got with the tank was a fairly extensive library of fish books. One of the books, called Oscars (I believe it came out around '69-70) talks about power filters and shows a picture of a Supreme power filter (If I recall correctly) so the Supremes were also already around in the '60s. Two J-siphons (If i recall correctly) so probably an Aquaking? Unfortunately I accidentally got rid of all these books sometimes in the '90s by using garbage bags to move and mistaking it for garbage :oops:
I think the Supremes came out first...and the Aquologies were the imitation or knock off. This link shows an Aquology 600 in great detail. 1976 copyright, so probably the date that first came out (?).https://picclick.ca/Vintage-Aqualogy-Power-Plus-600-Aquarium-Filter-323166178360.html I know in the late '70's, Aquology had a lot of advertising in the magazines; Supreme not so much. One advertisement I do remember is an Aquology 1200. Two pumps and 8 j-siphons all in one double length box. Of course what is the point of that, it's just like 2 except it would be one cumbersome box. Yeah, It's about gph and bragging rights for the biggest pump.
I did find pictures of packaging for the Supreme Superking that shows they came with 4 j-siphons or 2 double J-siphons. Second row on this link shows one box with the 4 j-siphons and a couple others showing the 2 double siphons. https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1SFXN_enCA498CA498&biw=1600&bih=769&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=OLjlWu6dNouN0gKnnJvgAw&q=supreme+superking+aquarium+filter&oq=supreme+superking+aquarium+filter&gs_l=psy-ab.12...170852.170852.0.173470.1.1.0.0.0.0.184.184.0j1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.sJzk7Q3gUfs I think the double j-siphons came out much later, like mid to late '80's(??). I also did find pictures of packaging for the Supreme Aquaking that show 2 j-siphons and a single double siphon( though for some reason can't find the picture now that shows Aquaking packaging with 2 single J-siphons). This shows a Supreme Aquaking in great detail:https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/brand-new-aquaking-power-filter.478664/.They call the double j-siphon a "king siphon". This short youtube link shows what I think is a later model Supreme Superking (black with 2 double j-siphons), Aquology 300 and a Dynaflow. All pumps I owned in the past:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayib7ah2Vf0 By the mid '80's the modern style of HOB was out in full force (particularly the Hagen Aquaclears). Sort of hard to compete with something you just add some water, plug it in and it self-primes. Way more convenient. So I would imagine the double J-siphon is sort of in response to this, as setting 1 or 2 siphons is at least less of a PITA then setting 2-4 or more. The change to black color, probably in response to their knock off competitor, Aqualogy, since they were black.
There is something to be admired for equipment that lasts. Possibly, also, part of the downfall of these direct drives. Once you purchase it, you may not have to replace it for 20+ years. So that as well, would hurt sales, as they don't have to be replaced very often. Can't say I have ever owned a piece of Aquarium equipment that lasted as long as the Supremes and Aqualogies. I am sure people have had Eheims that have lasted as long or longer, but they were always very "pricey". First seen those on the show tank at a pet shop in the late '70's. Certainly wanted them, but were way out of my price range.
BC in SK

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Belair62 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:51 pm

Simpler times. Slate bottom tank.A bag of floss. Some activaded charcoal, a piston air pump or one of the new ones that just buzzed away. Wish I would have kept some of that old vintage stuff.
Belair62

Postby BC in SK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:44 am

Belair62 wrote: Slate bottom tank.

That's sort of before my time.
In 1980 I purchased a 50 gal. from a friend, and that was the first time I had ever seen a slate bottom. Didn't know they even existed before that. Lot's and lot's of chrome trimmed tanks still around at that time; owned many of them from 5-25 gal. but they all had glass bottoms. Then again, slate bottom tanks i may have seen set up would have had substrate, so the slate would have been unknown to me.
Virtually all of the larger tanks around here would have been custom made. Just beginning to see larger purchased tanks with the new style of plastic trim when i started in the hobby.
Belair62 wrote: Some activaded charcoal

Really, never used charcoal, as my oldest brother had instructed me that it was of no real benefit.
Belair62 wrote: a piston air pump or one of the new ones that just buzzed away.

People i knew that had piston pumps had many, many small tanks. But i am familar with some of the smaller air pumps that were around in the '70s as i did use air for some smaller tanks. The metaframe air pump, zobeko, Hagen had some. Silent giant, seen them, but never owned one.
Since i was given a tank with big cichlids, my initial start in the hobby was with power filters.
BC in SK

Postby Belair62 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:31 pm

Dad raised angels in the late 50’s thru the 60’s. I used to watch. Always slate and chrome trim tanks and those crazy air pumps. I also remember a green kind of oval shaped one that buzzed horribly with a screw on top to adjust flow. Ther were LFS in every neighborhood of Chicago and we visited many of them ! Now they are pretty much all gone save for one or two. I have always had aquariums thru my whole life.
Belair62

Postby BC in SK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Belair62 wrote: I also remember a green kind of oval shaped one that buzzed horribly with a screw on top to adjust flow.

Could it be the Star air pump in this link:http://morefish.homestead.com/collectibles.html. Seems to me we had one of those in are box of extra aquarium parts, accessories and junk. Never used it because it made such a racket :lol: . There was quite a few air pumps that had a knob or screw adjustment. As the air pump got older it was a catch 22. Turn it down so it's quiet and it barely pumps (definitely won't run an air stone). Turn the adjustment up and it's real loud. Sometimes changing the diaphragm or other parts improved it; though often it didn't change much.
Now I've got a Whisper 60. Not exactly sure when I got it as I am not always using it. It has 4 feet with rubber. Real quiet. Don't even know what it's like inside as I have never had to open it up. I think it's light years better then any air pump I used in the '70's or '80s!
BC in SK

Postby mambee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:27 pm

I got my start with slate-bottomed and metal framed tanks in the late 60s. Everyone in my neighborhood bought their fish and equipment from Carl, who ran a fish shop out of his basement on Watson Avenue in the Bronx. I used to visit once a week to purchase live tubifex worms. He used a shot glass to scoop them out and the cost was $.50/shot. Local fish shops are mostly extinct in my area.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby Belair62 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:58 pm

BC in SK wrote:
Belair62 wrote: I also remember a green kind of oval shaped one that buzzed horribly with a screw on top to adjust flow.

Could it be the Star air pump in this link:http://morefish.homestead.com/collectibles.html. Seems to me we had one of those in are box of extra aquarium parts, accessories and junk. Never used it because it made such a racket :lol: . There was quite a few air pumps that had a knob or screw adjustment. As the air pump got older it was a catch 22. Turn it down so it's quiet and it barely pumps (definitely won't run an air stone). Turn the adjustment up and it's real loud. Sometimes changing the diaphragm or other parts improved it; though often it didn't change much.
Now I've got a Whisper 60. Not exactly sure when I got it as I am not always using it. It has 4 feet with rubber. Real quiet. Don't even know what it's like inside as I have never had to open it up. I think it's light years better then any air pump I used in the '70's or '80s!

Yep the top one and the bottom one. The Star pump was a very loud buzz. Cool pics.
Belair62

Postby Belair62 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:01 pm

mambee wrote: I used to visit once a week to purchase live tubifex worms. He used a shot glass to scoop them out and the cost was $.50/shot.

We used to harvest tubifex in the Skokie Lagoons !
Belair62

Postby Methodical2 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:39 am

Old thread, but I had to reply. I still have 2 of those filters that I got from my Aunt when my Uncle past away back in the early 80s. She gave me all of his equipment, including my 1st 125g tank. My uncle is the reason I own an aquarium (fish room) that's built into the wall with a fish room behind the tank - that's how he had his fish room setup. I used to sit for hours in his fish room watching all the fishees when I was a little kid. I used to find fish living happily in those filters that were sucked in.
Methodical2

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies