Equipment & Supplies • anyone ever seen one of these filters?

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby 808 newbie » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:42 am

I had something like that, was a bit scary handleling near water
808 newbie

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby kingdave » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:14 pm

I just resurrected two of the Aquamasters from an old box of 17 year old equipment I've been storing since my college days. They are alive and still kicking after all of those years. They do need to be oiled, but I've lost the instruction manuals and am unsure where the oil needs to be applied... any help would be appreciated, thanks.
90 gallon Hap + Peacock + Mbuna + Synodontis
kingdave

Postby mambee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 am

I had this filter back in the day. There should be 1 or 2 tubular openings on the motor where the oil is added.

Mike
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby aquariam » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:02 pm

I recommend keeping it for when your new improved plastic model quits. :roll:[/quote]

Although plastic impeller wells don't last as long in all conditions, if you use a prefilter and don't get sand in it, you should get 10 years guaranteed out of an aquaclear motor if not 15. even then you could replace the impeller and or well for about twenty dollars.

Overall what you get for $20USD in a HOB is pretty good these days.
aquariam

Re: anyone ever seen one of these filters?

Postby A.Angel G » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:20 am

that was one of the best filters ever made but it had one thing that made it fade away back in the early 90's. most of the filters made today have the motor pumping the water from the tank to the filter but this one had the motor pumping the water from the filter to the tank so to set it up you had to use airline tubing to suck the air out of the intake tubes and that was too much trouble for most people because with the ones made now you just add water to the filter box and the motor gets that air pocket out for you. the thing that makes this filter better is the fact that the water going into the tank could be set to go where you want it and not just fall into the tank where you put the filter box. back then I used those with the water being pumped into the tube of an undergravel filter for saltwater tanks. if you'd like to sell it Email me and I'll buy it from you because these days I don't have any of those and I miss them.
A.Angel G

Postby A.Angel G » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:23 am

just went through my old filters and I still have two of the Aqua Masters (the smaller model of these)
A.Angel G

Postby BC in SK » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:44 am

A.Angel G wrote: to set it up you had to use airline tubing to suck the air out of the intake tubes

Never heard of that.
Used this type of filter for over 20 years. You submerse the J-siphon in the water and put a plug on the end of the siphon and pull the plug after it's in the filter box.
Owned 3 Supreme super kings and one Aqualogy 600. My first was actually an Aqualogy 300, but that one didn't last that long, maybe 3-4 years as the plastic motor-propeller casing busted.
Like the aquology 300, the smaller Aquamaster only has 2 J-siphons so it's not as much of a PITA to set up. And these will run fine with only 2 J-siphons.
The OP's Supreme Supreme king is missing a J-siphon so of course it will suck air big time. They came with 4 J-siphons, but I purchased an extra and ran all of mine with 5.....because at times they would still suck air with only 4. A cichlid would often hit into them and they would dislodge, making lot's of noise after they start sucking air.
These filters last as long as they are oiled at least once a year. But the J-siphons do not flow that well requiring many of them. They are such a PITA to set up. Would never go back to this type of filter as setting up that many J-siphons is such a PITA. Two supreme super kings on just my 180 gal. alone meant setting 10 j-siphons every time you clean them. And they really have small area for filtration material as if you stuff too much floss it will slow or stop the J-siphons, and it will suck air. They actually NEED to be cleaned every week!
BC in SK

Postby Ronzo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:40 am

Forum;

...good filter, which works great and can be simply unhooked from the back of tank and taken completely to sink for all maintenance work...I ran one of these for years without any major issues...it worked very well on my (understocked) 55G. If siphon on intake tube(s) is lost, it must be manually reestablished...it will not self-prime as tube(s) lift tank water into enclosure and filter media...this has the advantage that any big abrasive particles that come in are caught by media and don't make it to impeller to hurt it. I've upgraded to E400 (with Reynolds mod) because of the bio-wheel advantages, but if I didn't need the bio-wheels, I would put it back into service in a minute. Periodic lube of motor bushing is required...no big deal there... Cheers
Ronzo

Postby BC in SK » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:42 am

06ram wrote: he said it flows about 900gph>

I know this is an old thread, but just to clarify, this filter, Supreme Super King, was rated at 600 gph ( Aquology 600, as well). The smaller model, Supeme Aquamaster was rated at 300 gph (just like the Aquology 300). One of the few good things about this type of filter, is they do move a lot of water.
Shortly after I first got the aqualogy 300 ('77-78), I did a test to see how much it pumped. I placed it on the front of the tank and flipped the motor around so it pumped into a 5 gallon pale and timed it with a stop watch. With brand knew filter floss it pumped around 250 gph. I was satisfied it pumped close to it's rated gph. All filters are rated with out media. When i got the aqualogy 600 ('79) I did the same test and got a flow rate around 550 gph. I got my 3 Supreme Super Kings in the early '80's, and did not do this test on them, but i am certain they would pump virtually the same as an Aquology 600.
The other great attribute of this pump is it's longevity. My Supreme Super kings were run for 17-18 years and still worked like knew (other then giving shocks if you touched the motor housing while it was plugged in :lol: ). The aquology 600 was used off and on over this span, but in it's later life needed coaxing to get going by pouring water into the box to get it's initial start. I hucked them out around 1999-2000. Good riddance. Running all 4 meant setting 20 J-siphons. Did i mention already that J-siphons are a supreme PITA? :lol:
The other fualt of the filter is a lack of filtration media. A one gallon 4" x 12" box in which you can only put a couple inches thick of filter floss. If you try to stuff too much filter floss you'll slow or even dislodge the J-siphons and the filter will make a racket sucking air. And the larger models (Supreme superking and aquology 600) have the same size box as the smaller models, even though they pump at least twice the amount.
BC in SK

Postby Narwhal72 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:05 am

The Superking and Aquaking shared the same box. The Aquamaster PME used a smaller box.

We used to use those boxes as fish holders for bagging fish at TFP. The Aquamaster PME box was the perfect size and most preferred. But it was also brittle. A couple of drops and they were toast.
Narwhal72

Postby mambee » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:01 pm

I had this filter back in the day. I'll take you back even further. Did anyone have the Metaframe Dynaflow filter? I can still recall replacing the small plastic ball bearing on a regular basis.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby BC in SK » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:08 pm

mambee wrote: Did anyone have the Metaframe Dynaflow filter?

Yup, had one of those for a while. And before that I had a couple Hagen Biogenics ( at least that's what I remember they were called). The Hagens had a little hand pump you attach to the top of the siphon but the plastic ended up ripping fairly quick, so you ended up having to set the siphon the regular way by submersing them. These magnetic drives did not last very long for me. There was always problems with alignment of the magnets through the plastic box, and often had to wack on the box to get them started :lol: I had a real bias against magnetic drive for many years because of my first experiences with power filters, and really believed direct drives (like Supreme and Aqualogy) were superior for quite some time.
Narwhal72 wrote:The Superking and Aquaking shared the same box. The Aquamaster PME used a smaller box.

Ah, didn't realize Supreme had an even smaller model. Mixing up Aquamaster with Aquaking. Only owned the Super Kings but knew Supreme also had an equivalent model to the Aquology 300 ( the Aquaking, not the Aquamaster).
BC in SK

Postby BC in SK » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:34 am

Looking at some pictures of the Dynaflow filter on the internet reminded me of the "with Magic Magnet Drive" label on the back of the filter. Even as a young kid, I thought this rather silly or corny to be calling it magic. 1960's-ish and outdated labeling for the mid-70's. It ran probably about 4 years or so, and then got converted into an air-driven HOB after the motor/magnet stopped pumping. One of the simplest ways to change over to air driven was to shove a Tetra brilliant filter ( with the sponge removed) into the box, but from different spare parts I also did other conversions. Also had purchased air driven Hobs that worked with over flow, like modern HOBs, I think long before there were power filters that ran this way (?). From my reading and looking at pictures, I think Dynaflow was the first to come out with a powered overflow HOB (like the modern) in '75 but I never took note of this style of power filter until the Hagen Aquaclear 300 in the early '80's. Really liked that filter initially, but didn't last for me, again reinforcing my dislike for magnetic drive.
Tried to find pictures of the older Hagens form the early '70's, but didn't find any. Found the name though, Bio-zonics (not Biogenics). They had a different siphon since they employed an attachable hand pump. Top part of the siphon was sort of squarish, blue in color, with a protrusion where you attach the hand pump. Round and accordion-like, you push up and down on it, until the water squirts out of a tiny hole, then pull the hand pump off, and put a small cap on the protrusion. The hand pump is thin plastic, so with any amount of use, it rips, forcing you to go back to the conventional way of submersing and using a plug (or the palm of your hand which is fine for 1 or 2 siphons, but very difficult for 5 j-siphons due to the lack of space).
Looking at pictures of the Supremes on the internet, I noticed siphons that are essentially 2 J-siphons fused together to make one. Those must have come out later, as in the 1970's and early '80's they all came with the regular J-siphons. Also seen some Supreme Super kings that are colored all black; that must be somewhat newer (early 90's?) as I only remember them with grey motor, blue mounting, and beige colored plastic for the propeller housing (like the OP's)
BC in SK

Postby Belair62 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:07 am

We used to use our thumb to get the siphon started until someone made a J shaped bulb type siphon starter. Later on they came up with a plastic end cap on a stick ! Fond memories.
Belair62

Postby BC in SK » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:28 pm

Belair62 wrote:We used to use our thumb to get the siphon started until someone made a J shaped bulb type siphon starter. Later on they came up with a plastic end cap on a stick ! Fond memories.

I don't remember too much about setting the siphon on the Dynaflow. It's conceivable that the diameter of the tube was smaller then the Supremes and the Aqualogies, as it is a much smaller pump. I know that with the J-siphons on the Supremes and Aqualogies, my thumb is not large enough to make a good seal. Also, the Dynaflow and Hagen Bio-zonics only needed 1 siphon to run as I doubt either would do much more then 100 gph with media in them.
Had the stick with the cap, but seldom used that, and lost them over the years. I used a red plastic thimble-shaped plug (not even too sure where that came from), but on occasion mis-placed it, so had to use the palm of my hand. The 4th and 5th siphon were real tough using only your hand, and when I finally did get the last, I often had knocked out another siphon and had to do it again! Frustration and swearing. No, I don't have fond memories of J-siphons :lol:
Never used the double J-siphons; didn't even know they existed until I started trying to find pictures of Supreme power filters. Seems like that would have been a real improvement (?) as you would only have to set 1/2 as many and should actually flow more water as there would be larger flow area because of the way they are joined in the middle (?). Considering the largest size came with 4 j-siphons (Supreme SuperKing and Aqualogy 600) and that really didn't quite cut it as they could still suck air at times with 4, the double j-siphons with increased capacity might have been a real improvement (?).
BC in SK

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment & Supplies