Equipment & Supplies • Sunsun 304B canister filter, rated power/watts accuracy

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Sunsun 304B canister filter, rated power/watts accuracy

Postby 3ggerhappy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:02 am

Hi,

Recently got back into the hobby and decided to revive my 75G tank. In line with this I purchased a Sunsun 304b in a local online store. I have set it up flow looks good, my only concern is that with my PSU it is only showing a constant 30watts of power. Like 20 to 25 watts of discrepancy to the 55watts of pump rating. It's a pretty accurate PSU w/c i have been using with my audio amplifiers. Please see video below:

https://imgur.com/oli4HOl

Question is to those with experience with Sunsun filters, is the specsheet to be taken seriously? is it possible that the head unit of the filter might be switched with a 303b(35W rated) or first of all could it be done? is it the same size? I have already asked the seller and he/she said 303b head unit will not fit on a 304b canister, is this true? I believe the 302 to 304 were all the same only difference is the number of trays/height of the canister. Is there a way to differentiate the head unit of each?

sunsun line specs:
https://imgur.com/a/Y86tDC3

Thanks guys.
Attachments
3ggerhappy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Sunsun 304B canister filter, rated power/watts accuracy

Postby SenorStrum » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:13 am

I've fallen into the trap you're heading for.

I have purchased and used nearly 10 Sunsuns in the last year. I love them, especially for the money, but here are some things to thing about.
1. Absolutely everything you find marketed towards the aquarium hobby is over-marketed garbage. Nothing hits the numbers, and most folks just learn to adjust for it. I would not trust really ANY spec sheets, is what I'm saying. The reason that I bought Sunsun is they are cheap and have a massive ability to hold media, which cannot be fudged on marketing materials.

2. Seller's not lying to you. Although it seems like the 304 is just a 4-tray version of the 303, it is not. They are actually a different size. The only thing that I have found to be interchangeable between the two are the U.V. bulbs. All other pieces are larger on the 304B.

I would not worry too much about it. Just think of it as cost savings on power.
SenorStrum

Re: Sunsun 304B canister filter, rated power/watts accuracy

Postby 3ggerhappy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:53 am

Thank you very much for this, now I have my expectations straighten out, and thanks for clarifying my misconception on the 304, 303 sizes.
3ggerhappy

Return to Equipment & Supplies