Equipment & Supplies • Do I need a powerhead for a 20 gallon long tank?

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Do I need a powerhead for a 20 gallon long tank?

Postby Indywar2 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:06 pm

Good afternoon,

I have a 20 gallon/ 30 inch long tank. I have an Aquaclear 50(A610) HOB filter at one end that is listed at 200 gal/hr. Water conditions have all been really good.

Do you think I need a powerhead to aid in the circulation of the aquarium?

Thanks,
Rob
Indywar2

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Do I need a powerhead for a 20 gallon long tank?

Postby Deeda » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:32 pm

Hi Rob, I don't know that you need a powerhead for this tank, the question is what might you accomplish with one.

A lot might depend on the species you are keeping, decor placement, live plants or debris pick up. Also adding a power head is noticeable in the tank so that might affect your viewing pleasure.

If you are seeing debris settle more on one side than the other, you could move the filter to the other side and rotate its position during weekly filter maintenance, one week on the left side and the next week on the right side.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Re: Do I need a powerhead for a 20 gallon long tank?

Postby Indywar2 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:56 pm

Thanks Deeda for the reply. My apologies for not responding sooner.

The set up of the tank limits the location I can place the HOB filter. This tank is on my desk in my office right next to a smaller tank. In addition, there is not enough clearance between the back of the tank and the wall to move the HOB to the middle of the tank or the other end.

Deeda wrote:Hi Rob, I don't know that you need a powerhead for this tank, the question is what might you accomplish with one.
Good question. Because the HOB can only be placed on the end of the tank, the flow is less at the far end. However, is still circulates. I perform water changes once a week, and by the time I do the water change the flow rate is noticeably less at the far end. Likely a little paranoid about not having enough filtration.

Deeda wrote:A lot might depend on the species you are keeping, decor placement, live plants or debris pick up. Also adding a power head is noticeable in the tank so that might affect your viewing pleasure.
Good point on a power head taking away the view. I hadn't thought about that. Right now I have ~ 25-30 juvenile sunrise peacocks in the tank. No plants and 2 small decorations. As they grow big enough I move them to my main 75 gallon tank.

Deeda wrote:If you are seeing debris settle more on one side than the other, you could move the filter to the other side and rotate its position during weekly filter maintenance, one week on the left side and the next week on the right side.
Honestly, it seems to be about even throughout the tank (algae on the gravel more than debris, but evenly distributed).

It sounds like I am likely okay, and will continue to vacumm the gravel and perform the weekly water changes. Thanks again for the advice.

Rob
Indywar2

Return to Equipment & Supplies