Equipment & Supplies • Fluval FX6 vibration/sound question

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Re: Fluval FX6 vibration/sound question

Postby Ronzo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:53 pm

EQUANT;

I agree with other poster...I'd put foam (at least one, maybe two layers of the foam in video) on each of the hard surfaces (including roof) in that cabinet to "eat" up the noise...and while you're at it, I'd close the back opening with multiple layer of foam also...remember that any hard surface will otherwise reflect the sound.

Cheers from Connecticut!
Ronzo

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fluval FX6 vibration/sound question

Postby jpbdh4 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:36 am

Late to the show but thought I'd throw out an option...
I have an Fx4, and by itself it's quiet. Really quiet. (Your Fx6 should be too). But I have a completely open back to my cabinet so even the slightest noise / vibration can be heard.

I use a cut sheet of NBR (Nitrile rubber) / PVC insulation. Typically this is used to wrap commercial ducts, tanks, pipes, etc. Think - the copper pipe insulation you get at the big box store, not the foam but rubber type, only in a sheet.

I use 1 (one) inch thick, as it will compress a lot especially under a water filled Fx4/6. Compresses about 75% under the pressure points (feet) of the canister. You can find it via a search, 36x48x1 for maybe 40 bucks.

My filter is now is completely silent. To the point of me having to look at the outlets / surface agitation to make sure it's even running. Does wonders for an air pump or anything else on it and does NOT absorb ANY water.

jpbdh4

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies