Equipment & Supplies • Python no spill

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Python no spill

Postby Burningst0rm » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:33 am

Hey guys

Anyone use the python no spill? Worth the hype? Anyone use anything else they could recommend?

With my new setup I feel like im going to need something on these lines to help save time!
Burningst0rm

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Python no spill

Postby ironspider » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:27 am

Python is the greatest thing to ever happen to aquarium maintenance IMHO.
ironspider

Postby ken31cayman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:58 am

Python is one of the must-have essentials. I guess if the tank is really small, ex/ 40gal or less, you could do water changes manually. But for large tanks regular water changes are just as necessary, and Python makes it easy.

I have a 180gal and kept Discus in it for 18 months doing daily 50% water changes through that time. Now I keep African Cichlids in there and do weekly 50% WC. I have a 450gal setup due to arrive in 3 weeks.

For the water out I have a water pump, I just unscrew the Python's siphon tube and screw on the pump. I only occasionally use the Python's siphon tube to suck out fish solid waste off the top of the sand.
ken31cayman

Postby Bd79 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Pythons are great, but the Aqueon water changer is just as good. Like ken31, I use a pump to empty the tanks, rather than the water changer.
Bd79

Postby fish_gazer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:07 pm

I can't even remember how I came across the Python water changing system, but once I did, changing my aquarium water became a joy, instead of a chore.

I'm no weakling, but carrying them 5 gallon buckets through my house and lifting them up to my chest to empty into the aquarium was for the birds man.

It took some time to figure out how to get the different components of the Python to work with my faucet, but I will never not own one. Ever.
125G Lake Malawi - 3 peacocks, 1 hap, 1 mbuna
fish_gazer

Postby NewkeeperRico » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:30 am

Yes the python is a must have!
NewkeeperRico

Postby Kipnlilo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:56 pm

After reading this, I purchased my Python yesterday with the 50’ hose. I also ordered a 24” siphon tube for ease of use.
125G x2 Male Hap Peacock Mbuna
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
:fish: :fish: :fish:
Kipnlilo

Postby ironspider » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:55 am

To piggyback this thread: I have a question for all you python pros.

While doing a water change I can't seem to vacuum anything off the pfs. It sucks up the sand so it's not usable as a vacuum for me. Anyone figure out how to combat this issue?
ironspider

Postby Old Newbie » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:24 am

ironspider wrote:To piggyback this thread: I have a question for all you python pros.

While doing a water change I can't seem to vacuum anything off the pfs. It sucks up the sand so it's not usable as a vacuum for me. Anyone figure out how to combat this issue?

Don't let the tube touch the sand; just hover above the debris and let it suck it up while leaving the sand behind.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby ironspider » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:01 am

Old Newbie wrote:
ironspider wrote:To piggyback this thread: I have a question for all you python pros.

Don't let the tube touch the sand; just hover above the debris and let it suck it up while leaving the sand behind.

I seem to be having trouble with that as well.
ironspider

Postby Methodical2 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:23 am

ken31cayman wrote:Python is one of the must-have essentials. I guess if the tank is really small, ex/ 40gal or less, you could do water changes manually. But for large tanks regular water changes are just as necessary, and Python makes it easy.

I have a 180gal and kept Discus in it for 18 months doing daily 50% water changes through that time. Now I keep African Cichlids in there and do weekly 50% WC. I have a 450gal setup due to arrive in 3 weeks.

For the water out I have a water pump, I just unscrew the Python's siphon tube and screw on the pump. I only occasionally use the Python's siphon tube to suck out fish solid waste off the top of the sand.

What pump do you use? Thanks...
Methodical2

Postby ken31cay » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:05 am

I use the below pump, but if you're using a Python any pump with 3/4" hose thread output will work.

If you're using a water pump with the Python to empty your tank then I also find it useful to get metal 3/4" (hose threaded) adapters: a male adapter & a female adapter for the Python hose to pump connection. For my setup the female adapter goes on the pump and male adapter on end of Python hose. Without these I've found the plastic thread on the Python eventually wears down and gets stripped.

EDIT: female-to-male adapter for Python end, female-to-female for the pump.

IMG_1706.jpg
450gal male peacocks & haps, Frontosa
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Postby spn1025 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:33 am

I just picked up this pump on Amazon. 1/2” 400gph.
My bathroom faucet isn’t threaded so I couldn’t use the Python. Picked up a 20’ hose at Home Depot for $9.50. Throw this in the bathroom sink and run the water, had no issues filling my 65 gallon. Will work fine in reverse as well, will probably just drain it to the toilet.

I’ll still use a manual gravel vac and a 5 gallon bucket to clean the bottom.
Attachments
EA8E526F-48B4-4AA8-8F56-16C2803BBE25.png
spn1025

Postby mambee » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:45 pm

I just use gravity to drain water into my toilet. This creates enough suction for me to vacuum my sand without sucking up the sand.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby ken31cay » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 pm

I assume you're using your running faucet water as the suction, if so then just turn the faucet valve to half instead of fully open.
450gal male peacocks & haps, Frontosa
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Return to Equipment & Supplies