South American Cichlids • 60 gallon stocking help

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

60 gallon stocking help

Postby thePUGguy » Fri May 07, 2021 2:38 am

hello

I am new to keeping cichlids and have a 60 gallon tank (48 x 12 x 23) with 2 80GAL HOB filters. I currently have 2 EBA's (pretty sure both male) in there with a school of larger danio. Im looking to rehome the danio as they were to help cycle but they've stuck around for the last 2 years and I'm ready to part with em. I'd like to keep at least 1 EBA but ideally both as I've sorta become attached by giving em names. Id like to have a peaceful/semi aggressive SA cichlid tank that could /ideally/ be cool with plants that are planted but im not against fish who need to have floating plants or those that can be tied to wood/glued to rock bc they mess with the substrate. I keep sand if that matters. I do have slightly harder PH at about 7.8 but I have read that as long as its consistent its okay (plz confirm). My EBA's are currently 2ish years old and about 3.5-4inches. I still consider myself an advanced newbie who googles so please nothing that will die if I make a small mistake. TIA!

*edit* i also lowkey fell in love with "bumblebee jelly catfish", anyone heard of these? 10/10 would keep one if they're logical in the tank.
thePUGguy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 60 gallon stocking help

Postby Auballagh » Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am

Well yeah, if ambush predators are your thing....
A 'Bumblebee Jelly Catfish', Cephalosilurus apurensis, will grow past 14 - 16 inches in length, and will readily consume just about anything it can fit in it's mouth. :o
And yeah.... I like those kind of fish too. But, those larger-growing/predatory species don't always work out with the plans you started out with. So, let's just say that the Catfish is in there - temporarily. 'Cause sooner or later that ol' boy is gonna get too big for keeping in a 60 gallon tank.
But, until then.... I'm guessing you want to replace the Danios with something else? Or not?
And, I personally would just keep the pair of EBA. I mean you like 'em - why not? So, you want another Cichlid (or two) to go with the pair of EBA. Something relatively peaceful?
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby thePUGguy » Mon May 10, 2021 12:25 am

Stocking opinions vary so much and it’s so inconsistent I have no idea what to put in there outside of the 2 EBA’s. I am rehoming the danio beforehand. some people were acting like a 55 was tight for a pair of EBA’s and then one dude on YouTube had 8 of them in a 40 breeder so I now have no clue how to stock this tank anymore. I’m not sure what other cichlids will happily fit/was sort of under the impression I could only have 2 decently sized fish hence wanting to keep both but being cool with 1. I’d honestly put 8 in here if I could.

Oh man okay that’s not what google said
thePUGguy

Postby Auballagh » Mon May 10, 2021 1:35 pm

I - sort of - get what you're saying.
So, since you are apparently getting all kinds of different tank-stocking recommendations and conflicting input? Well, I'll just proceed as though this was gonna be MY 60 gallon aquarium. (based off of what I think are YOUR priorities!).
- All of the Danios are re-homed to somewhere else.
- The tank will then be stocked with 8 or 10 either Serpae or Black Widow Tetras. But, if I happen to see some larger growing (very nice looking) Buenos Aires Tetras? I will stock with them instead, at 6 or 8 individuals.
- or -
- The thought of stocking with those Tetras seems a bit lame. So, I've decided that I wanna add a relatively peaceful, additional Cichlid in there that won't go through my aquatic plants like an -all-you-can-eat buffet! A single Festivum Cichlid looks pretty good, Mesonauta festivus. But at the LFS, I saw an amazing looking (Central American) Nicaraguan Cichlid, Hypsophrys nicaraguensis. And wound up purchasing a single individual of that Cichlid to go with my EBA pair.
And....
- I will be keeping a close eye on the predatory, Bumblebee Jellyfish Catfish. If I notice that he is starting to gnosh on my Tetras (or going after the Cichlids), it will be time to move him into a different tank!
-
There. And, I hope this helps! It may not be how the recommendations you've received so far would have you do it.
Nope.
But that is how I would re-set and stock that 60 gallon tank. :D
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Return to South American Cichlids